anybody familiar with this problem? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anybody familiar with this problem?

X-Man

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92" XLT
When driving slow I hear clunking metal noises, sounds like its coming from the front suspension or the brake area, I thought it was the radius arm bushings, but I don't think that's it, when I go over bumps I don't hear it. it's when I first take off, like at stop signs or when driving slow. I have a 92" explorer 2wd if that helps. Any comments, suggestions would be grateful.

Thanks
X-Man

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just had the same thing going on before I lifted my Explorer and it turned out to be the bushings that you are speaking off. The noise stopped as soon as I had them swapped out. How many miles do you have on it? It is probably time for this anyhow. Hope this helps a little.

------------------
Brian Green
92 2wd Explorer w/
6 inch Suspension lift
92 2wd Ranger w/
5.5 inch suspension lift

I once had a sound that acted much like the one you are experiencing. It turned out to be the heat shield on the catalytic converter knocking against my tranny. I just jimmied the heat shield back and it disappeared.
Hope this helps.

I have 124K on it, so when you say bushing you think it's the radius arm bushing? if so how much did it cost you?

Thanks
X-Man

xman i just replaced mine a month ago because of a "noise" and the noise went away! changing them out yourself is pretty simple if you have a 1 1/8 combo wrench and a little time. it was well worth it for me. good luck!

------------------
SCOTTC
93XLT 4X4 4DR.

X-Man,
Just some info from my experince:
When I was looking for the mysterious bumping noises, all I could find was an ever so slightly loose wheel bearing. After tightening the bearing just a little tighter than I normally would like, the bump was gone. And no bearing problems. Go figure!
Good Luck!

------------------
"Don't go where the road don't go." -Ringo Starr

Wil - '92 EB

You might want to check the brakes. Could be worn pads clunking after a stop, especially if its time for pad replacement.

Good luck

Steve VB
91 Navajo

Well guys I took my truck to the shop to get the Bushings replaced, I told them to check and make sure that's the problem first, so after checking they said the bushings look good and the suspensions looks tight, after driving, stopping & going they findly found the problem, it was a bracket that holds the transmission down! about three screws and I was out of there, save me $300. Thanks guys for all you're help and advise, you're the best!

X-Man

Back