Anybody have budget wheel Suggestions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anybody have budget wheel Suggestions?

Besse

Reaction score
City, State
Fairmont, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
V6 Mountaineer '08
Driving a 2008 Mercury Mountaineer - V6

First off.... yes, I know how silly this big lift looks on stock wheels and tires.

Body lift

PA 883 body lift – 3 inch

Coilover Suspension lift

2006-2010 Ford Explorer 2WD & 4WD, Sport-Trac 2.5" Truxxx Front & Rear Lift Kit

Bought 4 loaded KYB Struts and spacers – 2.5 inch lift

UCAs

06-‘10 Explorer uniball upper arms

BTF

Wheels

Currently wheels and tires are stock – 245-65-17 i believe.

These are new tires actually with like 500 miles on them so i'll probably gonna sell all four corners to help fund new ones.

I want to go up to a 285/70R17 – BF Goodrich KO2 which is like a 33 inch

I'm not seeing a lot of cheap 17 inch wheels with 0 offset. Ideally I'm looking to spend no more than $100-120 per wheel if I can find them.
Not sure if there are any good Black Friday sales coming up.
Those KO2s are $50 off on 4WP right now.

Gearing

Yeah, i'll be going up to 4.56 and getting a new front carrier to make it happen.
Hoping to get that done ASAP, but not in a crazy rush or anything. That's the last thing I really need.
Gonna have a shop do my Ring and Pinion, because I already did both lifts in two back to back weekends, and don't feel like doing much else right now.

In the meantime, does anybody have suggestions for a cheaper wheel with 0 offset? I guess I can go down to a 15 or 16 inch wheel if need be, doesn't really matter too much to me.

I know that the backspacing shouldn't be more than like 4-4.5 inch.

For an example, the Pro Comp 51/69/97s seem like the best budget option to me, but not sure about the -12 (or more) offset.
I know some people on here have done -12..
Would -12 make a giant mess down the side of my truck every time I go get groceries?
I would just go -12 and buy fender flares, but we have to make fender flares for our trucks, and i'm not really trying to mock those up right now if I can find good 0 offsets that don't cost $250 per wheel.

Thanks in advance.

PXL_20201107_143319658.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you'll have to go with a steelie like the Cragar soft 8.

P.S. The brakes won't clear with 15" wheels. You need at least 16s.

My advice, nothing smaller than 18s, you can find some factory 18s iirc maybe they were 20s I dont remember. on the 4th gens that had a mirror finish on the wheels. Maybe Eddie Bauer models.

Scour Craigslist in ALL areas you would be willing to drive to. I found two sets in rural central Washington for great deals. Much cheaper than what the going rate was in Seattle.

Back