Tire/Wheel Suggestions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire/Wheel Suggestions

Hey guys, I'm [brand] new to the boards so bear with me if I screw up in any way, shape or form.

Anyways, I have a 1997 Explorer XLT 4x4, stock everything. I was wanting to get some new rims and tires to put on it, to kind of set it apart from the many other stock Explorers I see around town (plus I'm just bored with it). I'm thinking of going with an off-road type wheel (I'm not into all that 20'' chrome rims and a blastin' system kinda thing), but I don't do much off-roading so I'd preferably want a tire that can be driven on the street but also have a nice aggressive look, and be able to take me off the road if need be.
I like the look of the Mickey Thompson Classic II rims, but I have no clue what a "good deal" would be, nor where to buy them. My explorer is white, and I would like to get some black wheels because I love the black wheel look.

Price isn't a HUGE deal, but I don't want to spend an ungodly amount of money, either.
Any suggestions, and websites or places to buy rims and tires would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like those wheels, a lot. Especially the price. :D

Thank you very much for that, I will definitely consider them.

now what kind of tires are you looking for?

Uhhh, nothing in specific. Something reasonably priced that can be driven on the paved roads, because that's where I will be doing the majority of my driving, but I'd like for it to look a little aggressive and be able to take me off-road should I choose to do so.
So nothing extreme, just a little rugged.

you should go check out tirerack.com and find the tire that fits you best and then see if you can get it locally so you dont have to pay shipping.

Yeah.

Do you know the proper backspacing and offset needed for those rims to fit my '97 XLT?

stock backspacing is 4.5 with an offset of +12mm. If you use this wheel: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRR-3975712P/ it will get you about as close as you can to the stock measurements with this wheel design. Im just getting the hang of the wheel lingo so maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Yeah I know what the stock ones are, but I'm so confused as to what will fit and what wont. I don't know what exactly is needed to fit properly.

lol, I'm with you, I'm new to all the wheel stuff too. I just started researching and stuff today -it's so confusing.

Back