Anybody mount some lights on the front bumper? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anybody mount some lights on the front bumper?

So, has anybody mounted lights on their front bumper? Infront of the grill? Maybe some Hellas? Size? Recommendations? Don't have the money for a grill guard, but want some extra lights. I was wondering if anybody had pictures of what this looks like. Can only find pics with J***s with them like that. This a good or bad idea?? How'd you mount them? Where did you put the switch for them? I have a 94 XLT with chrome bumpers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe leebo has, though he has the black bumper... he has two sets mounted that way. I know there are others too.

Under my front..check out "MY TOYS"thread..

I have small Pilots on my bumper:

View

hey rod--when did you take your bumper off? looks pretty sweet!

i have some hella 520's (or 530's...i forgot) mounted on top of my bumper...i think they look better than if i had put them under the bumper...unfortunately i dont have any pics...

i put mine mounted upside down using the holes that are below the bumper. there were four holes on mine above the airdam two on the outer corners and two on either side of the liscence platei mounted two 6inch round lights there and it looks pretty sweet.

Well, I have the factory fogs and below the bumper is out for me. Along with taking off the bumper. So that's why I was wondering about the top of the bumper. And not some oblong weird ones, some actual round offroad type.

Sorry for the late response. Yep I do have a few pair on the front bumper. Easy as cake. Just drill a few holes into the bumper and your off. The only problem I've found is I need to tighten up the lights and the grounds every now and then, but I think thats due to cheap lights. If you want some photos just yell. I'd do it again over a over priced aftermarket bumper or brush gaurd without a doubt.

I actually fit a set of KC Daylighters on the front bumper of my old '92 Sport. Worst part is getting the bumper back on straight with the lights mounted!! Have fun!!

Just to cover some butts here. A post was put up, and edited about airbags. If you have a never model with them, be careful. As far as we know the sensors are tucked into the frame some, but watch for them just in case.

My Hella 550s on my 93 front bumper

View

I didn't have to remove the bumper or anything with my install. I just drilled the holes and then bolted it up utilizing the 2 rectangular cut outs in the middle of the bumper to access the bolt. The wires are run between the bumper and the grille. Installation took around 2 hours working really slowly. That included adjusting the height of the lights. Hope this helps.

Steve

My fault on the edit on the airbag bumpers. I didn't look at the year and model of his truck before I posted it. If I remember correctly, that model didn't come with them. On the newer model Explorers, the airbag sensors are up behind the bumper on the bumper support. There are 3 or 4 of them across and they are small rectangular boxes. They sit about 1" off the main bumper so that small impacts don't set them off. Sometimes they run the wiring for them behind the bumper, so you can make a heck of a mess if you hit one drilling the bumper. My old '92 didn't have them, so it wasn't an issue.

Back