Anyone change wheel bearings on their X? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone change wheel bearings on their X?

16EBBOY

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer V6
Front left Driver side wheel bearing is bad. When driving has loud hum but only when the steering wheel is turned to the left, when turned to the right its silent as a mouse. has anyone changed these before? any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If there is a loud hum when you turn to the left, the weight of the vehicle swings to the right putting pressure on the right wheels, which means the right bearing is bad, not the left. I let my mechanic replace both front hubs on my '03 a few years ago and it was about $250 per wheel. Probably a little more now or you could do it yourself.

your exactly right, we bought a new wheel bearing and put it on the left the sound didn't go away so we put it on the right and its gonneee! we did the job ourselves and it took maybe 30 mins or so. but its super quiet now nno rear end whine no loud hum just silence ha.

Get the tool. They don't like coming out:
1690333439110.png

Or a slide hammer
Buy Timken bearings and good to go

Be careful with Timkin. Here in the US they are now making them in China. Motorcraft is still USA.

Ive got 2 Timken made in US and two Motorcraft made in china during four last years.

Chinese Motorcraft lasted about 30000 miles both.

Ive got 2 Timken made in US and two Motorcraft made in china during four last years
So much for my silly notions. Thanks for the education!

My daughter just changed it out on my Explorer... hopefully this is helpful.

Done these several times, moog lasted maybe 200 miles and got my $$$ back from the AZ store, got Timken USA, only way to go, more money, well worth it.

your exactly right, we bought a new wheel bearing and put it on the left the sound didn't go away so we put it on the right and its gonneee! we did the job ourselves and it took maybe 30 mins or so. but its super quiet now nno rear end whine no loud hum just silence ha.
Heh... considering that both left and right side are the same age with similar wear, I would have just left the new bearing on the left side, then replaced the right side too.

This job can be easy or it can be a fight to get the hub out of the knuckle. Mine were surprisingly easy despite plenty of undercarriage rust elsewhere, not seized in at all... but I should mention that I'm referring to my '98 which was back when they still used cast iron.

Heh... considering that both left and right side are the same age with similar wear, I would have just left the new bearing on the left side, then replaced the right side too.

This job can be easy or it can be a fight to get the hub out of the knuckle. Mine were surprisingly easy despite plenty of undercarriage rust elsewhere, not seized in at all... but I should mention that I'm referring to my '98 which was back when they still used cast iron.
In Gen 4 they still used cast iron knuckle

^ Interesting, AFAIK they switched to aluminum for 3rd gen... guess they had issues (or just cost?) and switched back to cast iron.

Back