2012 3.5L Spark Plug Change... Anyone Change Their Plugs ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 3.5L Spark Plug Change... Anyone Change Their Plugs ?

JFUSION

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
I put a lot of miles on my truck for work purposes. I thought my fuel economy was dropping so I pulled the front spark plugs to check their condition today.

The rear three plugs are under the intake manifold. I was just curious if anyone has changed the plugs on their 3.5L engine ?. I assume the plastic intake manifold has to be removed if I ever have to replace them in the future.

My front factory plugs looked fine, the gaps were over .054" (that was the largest feeler gauge I had). I think the new Ford plugs start around .051" gap from what I could see. The plugs came out pretty dry.

Thanks for reading.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless you have over 100k why are you changing sparks...? They go for 100k easy..!

I'll sell this vehicle at the 10 year or 150,000 mile mark. It won't need plugs before that, based on previous experience with modern, clean burning engines.

I think JFusion is secretly waiting for the new sct x4 tuner and wanting to go with the colder plugs/regapped as well as the 170 stat!

Buzz

Anyone change their plugs on the Sport?

Did you already throw those add-ons on the sport or are you still waiting to get some miles on your ride first? I only have 1400 miles on mine with one oil change so far. I want to have at least another oil change before I start going crazy with either Livernois or maybe the SCT. Since you asked the question I am guessing you havnt changed the plugs yourself. Did you replace your T-stat yourself? If so, how was the experience?

Buzz

I didn't change mine, but did pull them just to gap them down and make sure all were set properly. It's very easy on the sport. Just need an adjustable wrench or correct box wrech, a couple sockets, extensions, and appropriate sized drive. Only one cylinder on the rear bank is tough to get at and even that one is still very easy. I did all mine in under an hour and wasn't moving fast at all.

Sounds like you have to pull the manifold off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QES9mgex8cw

The sport is a bit easier since everything is accessible.

Thanks for the reply, I'll file that in my favourites for future reference. Based on the condition of the front plugs I won't be messing with the rear plugs as they likely have a lot more life in them.

I was curious to see how the front plugs looked as my fuel economy has been a bit worse this year, I don't think the plugs had anything to do with it though based on their condition.

Unless you have over 100k why are you changing sparks...? They go for 100k easy..!

Yup from what I could see on the front three plugs they had quite a bit of life left in them still. The gaps had opened up a bit but probably well within their service range. I won't bother checking the rear plugs at this point. :salute:

Yup from what I could see on the front three plugs they had quite a bit of life left in them still. The gaps had opened up a bit but probably well within their service range. I won't bother checking the rear plugs at this point. :salute:
According to the Owner's Guide, they should be good for 160k kms. At my current rate, I'll have to replace them in 2037 when I turn 91 :D

Peter

Hi Y’all!
I just changed the plugs for the first time on my 2012 Explorer 3.5 with 156,000...On a recent road trip I had a engine shudder when I got on the throttle and a few times the CEL flashed. So when I got home I threw 6 Ford plugs in. Took about 1.5 hours going slow and BSing with my buddy. A bunch of clips and the intake needs to come off but it’s simple enough. Dealer wanted $445, local shop wanted $235, I did it for $20.
Kenny

The Spark plugs on my 2013 were shut after 50k miles, gap was over 0.060 on all of them. I bought the truck used, I guess the previous owner did a lot of stop and go driving.

The Spark plugs on my 2013 were shut after 50k miles, gap was over 0.060 on all of them. I bought the truck used, I guess the previous owner did a lot of stop and go driving.
I don't understand the correlation between stop and go driving and faster spark plug wear? Spark plugs are firing anytime the engine is running.

Peter

I don't understand the correlation between stop and go driving and faster spark plug wear? Spark plugs are firing anytime the engine is running.

Peter

I think what Explorer75 is referring to is that although the mileage is low, actual engine hours may be higher.

The point is a vehicle driven in high traffic areas with high idle time will show lower mileage than a vehicle driven in low traffic areas and highway/freeway.

The point is a vehicle driven in high traffic areas with high idle time will show lower mileage than a vehicle driven in low traffic areas and highway/freeway.
Putting it that way, it makes more sense. Thanks.

Peter

Back