Anyone done the brown wire mod recently? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone done the brown wire mod recently?

Schamattack

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I have been having a lot of issues with my 4x4 locking up and staying on. I recently unplugged my 4x4 module and in 2wd the truck runs great. Problem is around here in WI winters can get nasty and I would like to have the ability to go back to 4x4 for those rough days. I Guess I could just plug the module back in when I need it but I see some posts about cutting the brown wire and adding a switch/relay in line. What is the point of adding in a relay? Wouldnt just a switch be all you need to control power to the box?

The brown wire is for the magnetic clutch coil which would be high amperage. I assume without further investigating that the switch wouldn't be rated for the amperage. hence using the relay with low amperage to control higher amperage circuit.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?attachments/picture-4-png.55475/
Good to have someone understanding electric theory joining up! It has always seemed to me that electrical problems are the most difficult for many to work with, and understand. Looking forward to more from you! imp

Back