brown wire mod for 3rd gen? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

brown wire mod for 3rd gen?

opielab

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4.0
i just snipped the brown wire and taped it. works like a charm. i just need to go buy a switch and everything now, and the whole mod is done.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

trucku

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Queens, New York and living in Budd Lake, NJ now.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 4x4
i just snipped the brown wire and taped it. works like a charm. i just need to go buy a switch and everything now, and the whole mod is done.

WoW that's great :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

So what's happening when you try to select 4x4 hi, and LOW?
Are you getting any blinking of the 4x4 light?

Have you tried hard acceleration to see if it attempts to engage 4x4, or does the rear wheels spin?
After the hard acceleration and turning any binding?

If its that easy this is great. I would love to get a some kinds of mpg gain out of this.

<

opielab

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4.0
i can tell the 4x4 isnt engaging when i hit the gas. i havent pushed any buttons, because i dont need to, and the wire is just cut, not completed yet.

but it does seem to stay in 2wd, and i like it.

<

P. doggy

Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wy
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 UW Ed.
Do a search for: 4x4 Auto disable? Scroll down till you see a heading that says 3rd Gen BWM in the title. Those are the step by step instructions I used. If you want pics, I will see if I can find them. Some one was going to post them, but I am not sure if they got posted. Good Luck.
Jared G.

<

trucku

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Queens, New York and living in Budd Lake, NJ now.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 4x4
Do a search for: 4x4 Auto disable? Scroll down till you see a heading that says 3rd Gen BWM in the title. Those are the step by step instructions I used. If you want pics, I will see if I can find them. Some one was going to post them, but I am not sure if they got posted. Good Luck.
Jared G.

Awesome. Thanks!

yeah the pics would be great.
Here is your post with instructions

Great Job!
:salute: :thumbsup: :salute:

Send me the pics I will post them for you.
you can also upload them to photbucket and then use the image link and they will show up in your post.

<