anyone ever flipped | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anyone ever flipped

Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you all have ever flipped your Explorer or if you have ever heard of it happening. I'm just wondering if the fact that mine has lower stance and grippier tires with soon to come Xpress sway bars will mke the whole occurence more abrupt or what. I just need to know what to avoid. the reason being is I saw a BMW 3 series flip. Also my friend fripped a Saturn with ease. I wpuld like some input thats all.

thanks,

Clayton Burris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With a lowered stance and sway bars it would be much harder to flip your truck. I've never heard of anyone flipping thier Explorer doing regular driving. What the heck are your friends doin to flip a BMW 3 and a Saturn? Let us know how you like the sway bars.

------------------
'91 2 dr Eddie Bauer
modified air box
K&N filter
MUCH MORE TO COME

I have the ExplExpress sway bars, bilstein shocks (soon to be replaced with Edelbrocks) and polyurethane bushings. The truck definitely takes turns with ease - just like a car.....but, regardless of your improvements, too much speed at the wrong turn will get you to flip everytime. I also have the crappy Firestones - which I hope to replace with a lower profile and 16inch rims.

Clayton,
I have yet to see an Explorer filp BUT I have seen the smaller Bronco II fliped, I think I even have some picts back home. IT was a great site, water rushing inside of the truck. Nobody was hurt, and nobody was drunk! My friend just wanted to flip it so we took it on our normal trail, seatbelted up and drove it up the side of the stream.(He wanted to get some damage to give him a reason to fully cage it up)
To say the least Eric was successfull, and only minor damage with a broken rear window. Im sure it is possiblke to flip your Explorer but you gotta be doing something really stupid.

------------------
Nick
'93 XLT 4 Door 4x4
Bosch Plat+4's with SplitFire Dual Core wires and a
K&N Air Filter with a Modified Air Box

I have a great Story! I experienced a flipped explorer personally(not my explorer)! My buddy and I were heading home from an auto show in downtown Chicago. My buddy's explorer is basically stock. I was in the passanger seat with my seat belt on (thank God). My buddy also had his seat belt on. Well anyway we were going about 80mph down the highway home. Well there was pickup/dump truck in the lane next to us. Well before I new it the truck blew a tire and flew right in front of us. Unfortunately us the truck was carrying a welding machine which flew out the back of the truck right at us. Well my buddy flung the wheel one way to avoid the welding machine and then flung the wheel the other way to straighten out. This all happened in about a split second so I was surprised he had time to do this. Well when he swung the wheel back, the explorer got on two wheel then on the other two wheels and then on passanger side and then on the roof and then on the drivers side. All I remember is waking up a couple seconds later hanging by my belt with glass all over the place. My buddy was lying on the door of the truck. We were fine except some bumps and bruises. We were so fine that we climbed out of the truck on our own power. ( I had to ram the passanger side door open which was above me now.) Man, this scared the crap out of me. We called the cops and we sued the driver and company of the pickup truck. That's how my buddy got another 93 Explorer and I got my 94 Explorer Sport. Yeup this still didn't discourage me from buying an Explorer. This was probably an extreme and rare event for an Explorer, but it is still possible.

i have once almost road my 91 it was about 3 months ago i hit slesh at 60km or so it went one way than the other and when my truck way side ways on the road i hit wel road and then the dich came well the rear end drop down the 4 foot but the front end wemt air bron well to sum it up it skard the **** out of me but didn't mark my explorer.Thank god cause i was 17 then and if it rolled i con't aford to drive it, the best part of this story was i drove out of the dich but hit a wall of snow about 8 feet hi

In response to RichSport94's post:

Rolling an explorer (or any vehicle for that matter) at 80mph and walking out it witrh only bumbs and bruises is either A)extreme luck or B)a good testament for that vehicle.

I'm going with B since I've also seen an explorer role in one of those "World's Scariest Police Chases" while it was doing 95 and the guy got out and ran!!! This makes me feel very safe knowing that if this ever happens to me (rolling...not being chased by cops :) that I'll be relativly safe.

------------------
Brad Bottoms
92 XLT 4x4
My Philosophy is "Bigger is ALWAYS Better"

regg4041
I drilled the holes in my airbox first because they are free. That gave a lot more power and a much better sound under throttle. Then I got my K&N and noticed a little more power. The two together gave me at least 10-15% more power (on my 2 dr)

------------------
'91 2 dr Eddie Bauer
modified air box
K&N filter
MUCH MORE TO COME

As a matter of fact I did roll an explorer It WAS a 1995 xlt 4door 4x4 I was doing about 80mph down the free way when a back tire blew! Man what a ride. When it was all said and done the poor explorer rolled 4 times and flipped end over end twice. It was amazing it still looked like an explorer, It belonged to my parents and they were so amazed at how it held together the next day we went out and bought a brand new one.

A girl I went to school with rolled her moms 92 or 93 EB. As far as I know she was going around a curve too fast ans slid off the raod, the tires caught the grass and rolled. Of course they were not wearing their seatbelts. The passenger has this scar on her arm, because the sunroof was out and she went throught it. Besides that they were alright.

Since I am a Paramedic I see alot of crashes, most S.U.V's I see, roll from high speed on hard curves, and our most popular curve for all vehicles to roll including tractor-trailers, is so named "dead mans curve" which gets about 1 roll a month, these high speed rolls have claimed lives, regardless of vehicle brand.
The other "tip overs" I see occur in the winter, when soeone is going down a steep snow covered hill and slides sideways and the tires catch and it tips over, a more gentle tip, then a flip.
Regardless of your vehicle I would wear a seatbelt, especialy if it has a sunroof, I have seen people go through all the way out, or sometimes halfway out and be pinned under the roof.

------------------

91 Sport
"Drive it like ya stold it"

Robbie
Did you have the Firestone Radial ATX's on when your tire blew? Have you heard about whats goin on with Firestone? Just interested since I had one blow out also.

------------------
'91 2 dr Eddie Bauer
modified air box
K&N filter
MUCH MORE TO COME

Yup the dang thing was riding on Firestone atx's actually they were Firestone wilderness ATX's but the same thing I just read about what is going on I had no idea. I will defonately look in to this and see what the deal is. I am going to get on this if I can. Thanks

------------------
Robbie J 1991 XLT 4x4 4.0 4-door

Another off-the-mark subject, but I have seen a Jeep Wrangler flip end over end at around 50 mph. Sadly, it was my own Jeep, although I wasn't in it. The driver, who was the only person in it, suffered multiple broken ribs, blunt abdomen trauma, 2 broken vertebrea in their back, and numerous gashes and cuts. They had to be helicoptered to the nearest trauma center in Denver, about a 2-hour drive. And guess what? They weren't wearing their seat belt. All turned out well however, they made a speedy recovery, and I now have another Wrangler AND an Explorer because of the accident (thank God for full coverage insurance). The morale of the story is: WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT AT ALL TIMES!!!

I think most of the explorers I've seen flipped were from irresponsible drivers in bad weather; not due to lowering/raising them. I remember last winter when I went back to college during a snow storm, driving (an explorer of course) we counted about 6 SUVs laying wheels up in ditches over 200 miles of interstate on I-81. As I recall, at least two of them were late model explorers.

I saw an Explorer Sport 1998 hit by a Ford Taurus to the side. One of them did not notice the red light. The Explore was hit on the driver side door. The Taurus front was totally damage. The Explorer flipped on the side and slide off the road. Dead Link Removed

------------------
1997 XLT, V6 SOHC
NY State of Mind

I rolled my explorer a couple of years ago when a corvette pulled out in front of me. I was only going around 45 mph but I swung the wheel hard and the back end came around on me. I slid sideways into a curb where I stayed on two wheels for at least 5-6 seconds then tipped onto the drivers side. My friends and I were fine and we crawled out the passenger side windows which were now the cieling just in time to see the ***hole in the corvette take off. We called a tow truck and had it tipped back rubber side down. It started right up eventhough there was a massive amount of white smoke coming out the exhaust, and the fact that I had no power steering because all of my power steering fluid was gone. I limped over to kragen where I filled up my fluid and drove home. The sad part was Is that there was over $4000 worth of damage to my car. But it lived to drive another day.

------------------
92 XLT 4x4
2" lift
I think I can make it....oops

I don't no about 95-newer but 92-94 explorers are very hard to roll, because they are bottom heavy. while off-roading i ran over a fallen tree and then went on two wheels for about 500ft on uneven ground and didnt roll!

Even though no one will read this: I once had a 92 ranger that i lowered 3 inches. It had aftermarket sway bars, 315/50/15 tires on the back and a paxton supercharger. I bought it stock for 7000, and invested 8000. I had no problem rolling it 2 months after i bought it, and selling it for 2000 as parts. (cry, cry, cry)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back