• Register Today It's free!

Anyone got an external console???

Isam Lamarius

Reaction score
City, State
LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
18' Explorer
I intended to pick up a Pioneer head unit for my 2016 explorer. It's a little tricky for me with the installation.
Just ordered an external console, it does not cost much, is easy to set up, and supports both Wireless CarPlay and Wireless Android auto.
It‘s cool!But I’m still considering whether the change to the Pioneer unit or keep the external console.
Does anyone have experience with the console or any head unit suggested?
https://carplaysmartbox.com/product...ia-player-with-apple-carplay-and-andriod-auto.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I think you mean an external controller. When you mention "console" here, people tend to think of the floor console between the seats.

Peter

As I understand, an aftermarket radio is not an easy project in a '16-19 Explorer. The Metro kits for example, only go up to 2015.

It not recommended to replace the factory unit with anything aftermarket. Unfortunately these aren't like the early 2000s cars where you just need a harness and plug and play any headunit.

If you want Apple and Android support, go with a sync3 conversion kit. This will retain all factory options like GPS, steering wheel controls etc. The closest thing to plug and play you will find.

It not recommended to replace the factory unit with anything aftermarket. Unfortunately these aren't like the early 2000s cars where you just need a harness and plug and play any headunit.

If you want Apple and Android support, go with a sync3 conversion kit. This will retain all factory options like GPS, steering wheel controls etc. The closest thing to plug and play you will find.
Thanks, Matt. I don't think I can have the retrofit kit installed myself and it's too much, US$1800 +. Just found their BLKFRIDAY's on, I gonna take the portable one.
WilI update here once I got it.

I intended to pick up a Pioneer head unit for my 2016 explorer. It's a little tricky for me with the installation.
Just ordered an external console, it does not cost much, is easy to set up, and supports both Wireless CarPlay and Wireless Android auto.
It‘s cool!But I’m still considering whether the change to the Pioneer unit or keep the external console.
Does anyone have experience with the console or any head unit suggested?
https://carplaysmartbox.com/product...ia-player-with-apple-carplay-and-andriod-auto.
You can swap in a Sync 3 screen and APIM into your 2016 to get Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. You have to find a 2017-2019 screen and APIM out of an Explorer with similar specs to yours, or even some other models work as well. I think I got my screen and APIM together on cart-part.com for about $250. I think LMK is the other junkyard part supplier that's really big.

Then these guys can create the as-built data you need to program your can to the receiver for $50.

It was incredibly easy to install. Hardest part by far was doing the research trying to find the right part # because there are a bunch of them that can work.

Here are a few random threads I have bookmarked from this project that might be helpful in getting started.

Thanks for your idea.
Just upgrade to a premium dongle, not only wireless CarPlay, with a screen mirroring feature, that I could project Netflix and live shows on the car screen.

Anyone work this?

Back