Anyone have Gabriels put on at Pepboys? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone have Gabriels put on at Pepboys?

ERIK2173

Reaction score
City, State
Oak Park, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 SPORT
About three weeks ago I had Pep boys put Gabriels on my 2001 Sport. For a while I thought the stiffer ride would settle down a little bit, but it hasn't.
I don't mind a stiffer ride and like the handling but this is too stiff. I'm worried about damaging something else.
It kind of confused me since I've seen such good reviews of them here.
So I got under and looked at the shocks. No where on the shocks does it say anything about VST.
The work order has the correct part number, I just wanted someone to tell me if their shocks say VST on them.

If these are the correct shock I may have to switch to Rancho 9000's soon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the RSX shocks now and love them. I used to feel every little bump and dip before the shock upgrade. They are very very soft.

Yea I have the VST and they have a big sticker on all of them that say VST Gas Gabriel Shocks.

Well I stopped by Pep Boys and the box from my shocks has VST all over it. I guess the Gabriels are just stiff on the Sport. Maybe it's the shorter wheel base.

A shop by me has the Ranch 9000's on sale for $52.99.
I may get those.

I just put new Gabriels on my self they rode fine for a few weeks but know I am having the same issue as before I replaced them.

By the way the old ones were completely shot i could push them together with no resistance at all

My problem is when I run over little bumps like the markers for a lane that have the little reflectors on them

I get this huge bump sound like I had rode over a Mini cooper or something and it echoes all the way up through the center console. I have no idea what is causing it. It went away when I firs replaced the shocks 3 weeks ago but now it is back.

Originally posted by jinx
I get this huge bump sound like I had rode over a Mini cooper or something and it echoes all the way up through the center console. I have no idea what is causing it.

Maybe you did rode over one.:eek:

I bought my gabriels at pep boys but I put them on myself. They are great shocks and I have had no problems with them.

somewhat off topic, i wouldnt let pepboys change my air freshner (if i had one). Girl at schools parents run a parts house, and they FREQUENTLY have to send someone over to pepboys to help them when they get stuck on a job they cant finish. Id check the shocks somehow, they mighta tried to pull a fast one.

I could tell you a horror story about my other car had them put the battery in dented fender and scratched it.

Suffice to say they do not ever touch my cars now.

My point though was what could be wrong have 65,000 no other suspension work done something must be wrong car did not ride like this before and for a short time after replacing shocks it rode fine

what gives?

I decided I will probably keep my Gabriel's.
The reason: I got new tires.
I was riding on General Grabbers, which I kept below the recomended pressure to soften the ride a little.
I never knew how bad they were.
I had a set of Michelin LTX's put on last week and it improved the ride alot. I was amazed how much softer the ride is now, and that is with them at the correct pressure.

Tires make a HUGE difference in ride quality. Seems even more important on our trucks, in fact.

Back