anyone have or know anything with in DASH gps ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anyone have or know anything with in DASH gps ?

dannytech_lt

Reaction score
City, State
Union nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Eddie Bauer 5.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am in the process of installing my car computer into my X, uses a 7" touch screen which will be installed in the dash where the Factory radio is now, and have Garmin Mobile PC installed on it. Had it installed in my 97 Grand Prix and loved it.

In dash GPS is kind of a waste of money IMO. You can get a portable car unit for around a hundred bucks with unlimited updates, or you can get a smart-phone that uses something like google maps.

Though, if you do have a smart-phone, Pioneer's App Radio might be to your liking.

In dash GPS is kind of a waste of money IMO. You can get a portable car unit for around a hundred bucks with unlimited updates, or you can get a smart-phone that uses something like google maps.

Though, if you do have a smart-phone, Pioneer's App Radio might be to your liking.

i know what my available options are but ive concluded that i want an in dash gps

if you do the setup very and keep the tasteful quality and looks ofr a nice system i think they would look great in our trucks

AUDIOMAX: that is very good information to know a 7 inch.. do you have any pictures or any opinions on how the gps and controls are in your grand prix?

whats garmin mobile pc?

GPS software for mobile computers.

What he is talking about is a carputer. Generally, they are computers you build to fit in your car. You can get 7" touchscreen monitors, then they pretty much act like tablet PCs, but they are docked into your dash opening.

Car stereo systems are basically carputers, but with limited software and expandability and it is very difficult or impossible for users to access anything but the front-end. Carputers on the other hand use linux or windows CE or something like that and you can do anything you can do with a computer, or load software on it so that it will completely emulate a car stereo. Go to mp3car.com to learn more about that kind of stuff.

And yeah, in-dash GPS is the cleanest way to do things. Then you don't have a bunch of accessories and other crap. I was just commenting on the cost of them compared to value. That being said, even I get tempted to buy them sometimes, just because it is a much cleaner look than having several gadgets. I'll probably just make a mounting pod for a portable GPS though.

BTW, either of those decks you posted are cheaper just about anywhere but Best Buy. Up to $200 less. Shop around young padewan.

GPS software for mobile computers.

What he is talking about is a carputer. Generally, they are computers you build to fit in your car. You can get 7" touchscreen monitors, then they pretty much act like tablet PCs, but they are docked into your dash opening.

Car stereo systems are basically carputers, but with limited software and expandability and it is very difficult or impossible for users to access anything but the front-end. Carputers on the other hand use linux or windows CE or something like that and you can do anything you can do with a computer, or load software on it so that it will completely emulate a car stereo. Go to mp3car.com to learn more about that kind of stuff.

And yeah, in-dash GPS is the cleanest way to do things. Then you don't have a bunch of accessories and other crap. I was just commenting on the cost of them compared to value. That being said, even I get tempted to buy them sometimes, just because it is a much cleaner look than having several gadgets. I'll probably just make a mounting pod for a portable GPS though.

BTW, either of those decks you posted are cheaper just about anywhere but Best Buy. Up to $200 less. Shop around young padewan.

i currently use my phone for gps and it is VERY good but its a phone .. plus my mach unit needs to be soldered and i dont want to take the radio out of its casing to do the solder so itll light up again

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer...980&skuId=2034199&st=/&cp=1&lp=9#BVRRWidgetID

this is the one i want and FIND i am massive tech savvy , i own everything thats latest in tech its my hobby lol but i will research for days until i buy something i just used best buy as my link

another thing i have to ask is do i need the serpate wiring for steering wheel controls ? im sure i do .. i actually first need to buy a very good alarm because i cant have such an expensive GPS with no protection for it

If your car already has steering wheel controls, you can get an adapter to make them work for your stereo.

If you already use your phone for GPS and like tech, I recommend this.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130SPDA100/Pioneer-SPH-DA100-AppRadio-2.html

Several of your phones apps will work on that deck, including your GPS app, it is cool as hell and it is a cheaper option. Plus, it means not buying another thing to do the same thing as something you already have. If you have an iPhone, search for an older model AppRadio. They are already discontinued, but you can get them for a good price.

The money you save can buy you the alarm!

Dannytech, I have pictures but they arent hosted on a site, so cant attach them, I had it setup in the GP to use the steering wheel controls, or voice activation, use it for videos, xm, nav, handsfree phone, internet, obd2 monitoring. as for a alarm, I use a gps/gsm controled tracking,remote start alarm system which I can track and control via my home computer or cell phone. Basically like the system they use on the program bait car.

Back