Anyone help identify this noise? Thanks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone help identify this noise? Thanks

tkob1060

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello my gf has a 1996 Ford Explorer with 133K miles on it. I just replaced the belt and tensioner pulley a month ago. THis noise started last week, then stopped now its back. It mostly just does it with the auto trans in gear at idle, it does it a very little bit in neutral or park but only sometimes and no where near as loud. It sounds like its more on the passenger side of motor but hard to tell for sure.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take the belt out and run it to see if the noise is belt associated.

sounds like the fan is hitting something...

Could be the slightest little tick on the belt. I had a noise that sounded like valves ticking but it was a tiny cut on the belt. Like he said remove the thing for a few seconds and inspect the belt and pulleys and start it up.

Look at the tensioner while it is making that noise. See if the tensioner is banging against the stop. If that is the case get a shorter belt. There has been some discussion about finding the right belt for some models of explorer. Sometimes three different ones are listed. Sorry I don't know the right part number off hand.

Ed

Had the same problem with mine when I replaced the tensioner, Dayco one from Advanced. It would make that sound at idle, any RPM's above idle and it would stop. Also would not rattle when the Heat/AC was on.

For whatever reason Advanced wouldn't take it back, it was supposed to have a 1 year warranty... So I dealt with it for a few days and ordered the Gates one from Rock Auto, problem solved :thumbsup:

Had the same problem with mine when I replaced the tensioner, Dayco one from Advanced. It would make that sound at idle, any RPM's above idle and it would stop. Also would not rattle when the Heat/AC was on.

For whatever reason Advanced wouldn't take it back, it was supposed to have a 1 year warranty... So I dealt with it for a few days and ordered the Gates one from Rock Auto, problem solved :thumbsup:

interesting the new one is from Advanced.... I'll check that out thanks :thumbsup:

Back