Anyone know about these codes?!?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone know about these codes?!?!

poopjohn

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
556 O,C Primary Fuel Pump circuit failure
565 O Canister Purge circuit failure
566 O 3-4 shift solenoid circuit failure KOEO (A4LD Transmission)
O,C Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) solenoid circuit failure

A lot of circuit errors. What could be the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried searching with the code numbers?

I'm guessing the 566 and 565 codes are KOEO codes, because my code list indicates that they can only be KOEO codes. What about the other two -- were the KOEO codes as well, or CM codes or both (review my "notes on pulling EEC-IV codes" in the EEC-IV forum for an explanation of KOEO vs. CM)?

Over the internet, it is difficult to say exactly what is wrong. My experience with these codes suggests that these generally aren't difficult to diagnose (unless the circuit fault is painfully intermittent). These circuits are pretty basic DC circuits, so, with a basic understanding of DC electricity, a wiring diagram, and a multimeter, you should be able to go through each circuit until you find the fault(s). Maybe there's a connector they all share in common that has come disconnected or who knows what.

My experience with my '93 Explorer, regarding your 3rd and 4th codes, has been traced to a rather simple problem with the mass airflow sensor located between the air filter and throttle body, especially since I use K&N filters in all my vehicles that use a suspension oil in the filter element that has a bad habit of collecting on the mass airflow sensor's elements causing all kinds of goofy codes. The MAF has a small connector that traces back to the powertrain control module (on-board computer). With the battery negative terminal removed, remove this connector and remove the MAF by loosening the security screws from the top (one will have a small dab of paint on it) and very carefully pull up on the module from the housing. You will then see two small elements that look like miniature elongated glass beads. I used Valvoline Carb and Throttle Body Cleaner sprayed on a cotton-tipped swab and carefully scrubbed both of these elements...utterly amazed as to how much 'crud' was accumulated on them! I then 'rinsed' the sensors with a few shots of spray. Allow them to dry and make sure you don't leave any cotton fibers caught in the sensors.
Replace the sensor module carefully back in the module housing and reinsert the connector. Reconnect your car battery as this should allow the computer to clear all codes and see if that corrects it. Hope this helps...it sure did me in a similar thread about 8 years ago when I was experiencing the same symptoms. It was hard for me to believe that such a simple solution existed to a complex problem like this one, but it did!

Rick

Hmm... Thanks Alot, I will try that out on Sunday morning when I replace my water pump, and valve cover gaskets. Hopefully this works. I'm still a novice on these codes, because I just started running the codes about two days ago lol. Thanks again!

Back