Anyone know what i am describing?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone know what i am describing??

Lj93Z28GM

Reaction score
Anyone know what i am decribing??
Not sure if this is common or known since i seldom post or view this board but see if you can help.

Well i was talking to a pal and he has a X too and he complained of getting engine detonation in the upper rpm's on low grade fuel.

He talked to a mechanic at a dealership and the guy said there was a chip or small module that can be removed to solve such a problem, He did it to his truck and it did help but seemed to slow it down.

It is located right up in front between the battery and the headlight assembly. It is a small gray chip that is about 1/2" wide and clips into the electrical harness.

My guess is that it is a resistor that is retarding the timing on the engine so that it will not detonate?? Correct?? Is there a knock sensor on the 4.0L?

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no knock sensor on the 4.0 litre!

Buddy no need to yell and try to put me off as an idiot. Unless i am taking your typing wrong.

I am a chevy guy and most modern engines have some form of knock sensor, i guess now this one does not.

Sorry to say but if you are so wonderful why could you not answer my main question.

I found out what it was in the other forum, the chip retards timing by three degrees.

I could be mistaken, but I think some of them DO have knock sensors.
I'm not sure what year they started in, but newer ones do have them.

What model year is the Explorer?

You guessed right, that does retard the timing, but I'm not sure how much it retards it. I think the 4.0 does have a knock sensor but I'll have to look it up when I have time.

Yes it has one

I've put off mine to, but yes it will get power down a bit. Timming is reterd and the ping (or detonation as you told) should be less. Have him check the mass air flow and clean it with trottle body spray. Do not brush the 2 small wire, clean it with the spray and dry it with compressed air. Check the plugs and wire, they sometime cause that symptom. If that does not do, try higher octane. BTW I use carb cleaner to do the job, be sure the product you use is O2 safe.

Back