• Register Today It's free!

anyone recognize this sensor?

PhantomFord

Reaction score
City, State
Petaluma, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie Bauer Limited
does anyone recognize what this sensor is to on my 1995 explorer limited what i believe to be a 4r55e transmission? for the record i am having problems with my transmission my over drive light blinking drive is really slow to take off and first or second only stay in first gear. drive doesn't ever shift and feels like its constantly in second.
securedownload-1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is this the drivers side or pass side of the trans? if its drivers i think its the vss sensor

drivers side. why would it have a vss when there is one on the transfercase? the one on the transfercase also does not plug in to the one pictured. different plugs. my explorer is 4 wheel drive.

According to the ATSG manual, that is a:
"Sensor Assembly - Transmission Output Shaft Sensor (OSS). Part number 7H103. "

drivers side. why would it have a vss when there is one on the transfercase? the one on the transfercase also does not plug in to the one pictured. different plugs. my explorer is 4 wheel drive.

i did say "i think" couldnt tell from pic where it was

According to the ATSG manual, that is a:
"Sensor Assembly - Transmission Output Shaft Sensor (OSS). Part number 7H103. "

any idea why there is no wire going to it and why it would be there for no wire to be plugged in? i doubt ford would throw sensors which cost money in to a vehicle that doesn't use it.

any idea why there is no wire going to it and why it would be there for no wire to be plugged in? i doubt ford would throw sensors which cost money in to a vehicle that doesn't use it.
I know that not all transmissions in this family use all of the sensors on the body for one reason or another (like the signal exists and can be acquired from another sensor - rear axle, t-case?).

Question: are you the original owner of the vehicle? I ask because someone could have swapped in another trans with this sensor in question.

I know that not all transmissions in this family use all of the sensors on the body for one reason or another (like the signal exists and can be acquired from another sensor - rear axle, t-case?).

Question: are you the original owner of the vehicle? I ask because someone could have swapped in another trans with this sensor in question.

the transmission was replaced by the previous owner with another one from a junk yard, the transmission does not go in to park and they gave up and sold the truck for cheep. i got the truck and the rights to a replacement transmission from the salvage yard since the old one had a 90 warranty and was bad apon installation. its not a linkage alignment issue, because when its aligned properly the transmission clicks to all the gears matching the indicator, but when you put it in part it becomes very hard to move and its still in revers because on the transmission itself the link wont click over any more so the cable becomes stretched to force it that far. i have no idea what transmission this actually is but im making sure the right one 4r55e or possibly a 5r and doing whatever mods necessarily
to make the swap

That looks like a 5R55E trans. In my opinion your best bet is to get the right trans.

Back