Anyone run the rear shocks outside the frame? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone run the rear shocks outside the frame?

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
Has anyone done this on their ranger without cutting the frame? Looking to do it on my 93 ranger but want to see some pictures. I am running an explorer rear axle with 1.25" wheel adapters on each side. 3.5" wheel back spacing and 37" tires. Currently had 6" skyjacker springs with the factory block. Wheel well clearance is not an issue as the bed is gone and it is getting a tube bed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The prerunner guys do it all the time.

In suspension engineering, the closer the shock to the tire the more efficient.

Are you going to keep them angled forward and back like the stock mounts? If so, I think you might run out of room on a full compression.

However, have you thought about angling the shocks toward the center of the vehicle? You should have plenty of room under the frame rail.

I realize changing the shock direction changes their behavior - not sure what you are going for.

The prerunner guys do it all the time.

How well does it do with crossed up flex? I am concerned about the tire hitting the shock or the shock hitting the frame. I am going to be using some white rocket shocks so they wont be to big.

In suspension engineering, the closer the shock to the tire the more efficient.

Much like the newer f150s have them.

Are you going to keep them angled forward and back like the stock mounts? If so, I think you might run out of room on a full compression.

However, have you thought about angling the shocks toward the center of the vehicle? You should have plenty of room under the frame rail.

I realize changing the shock direction changes their behavior - not sure what you are going for.

I could angle the forward or back or strait up if they are outside the frame. The bed is gone. I just cant have them come up between the frame rails as I am gong to be adding a seat in the back as well as more cage and tube. I have thought about angling them towards the middle but then you also loose some dampening of them. I cant go backwards between the frame rails because I run a BroncoII tank where the spare use to be.

Mine are outside the frame. Keep in mind you will be using more travel and need softer valving.

Check my build thread...i think i have some there. If not I'll snap some when I get home from work tomorrow.

Originally I had them mounted with the bottom mounts on the spring plates with the shocks leaning forward kinda like the newer F-150's. Now they are mounted between the brake drum and the leaf spring pads leaning in towards the frame. I'm running 14" Bilstein 6100's and this set up is working out very well.

Not a ranger but I moved mine to the outside when I did the sas

How well does it do with crossed up flex? I am concerned about the tire hitting the shock or the shock hitting the frame. I am going to be using some white rocket shocks so they wont be to big.

Desert trucks don't usually see as much flex as crawlers do, but they also run larger diameter shocks than what you're going to run, often with bypass tubes also, so I would think you will be fine. Just check clearances before permanently welding anything. Google image search ranger bedcages and you should be able to find plenty of useful pics.

Any progress on this?

I would like to move mine, but don't think there will be enough room without cutting the inner wheelwell on the bed.

Why wouldn't there be? I haven't studied Rangers too much, but based on the fact that people with desert trucks run much larger than stock diameter shocks outside the frame, I can't imagine a stock diameter shock would be a problem. And the height shouldn't be either since the wheel well is much higher than the bottom of the bed that they are mounted below in the stock configuration.

Haven't started on it yet. My Bed is gone so I am not sure how it would work with it still there. It my case I think even with the bed it might have worked. Between the wider explorer axle and my wheel adapters gained a few inches on each side.

I have a wider Explorer axle as well.

The bed overhangs the frame, which means the top of the shock must be closer to the tire. When 1 tire gets stuffed (and the other droops), the top of the tire moves inward. I don't think there will be enough room for the tire to move freely without hitting the shock.

I need to get some measurements - I am just eyeballing this now.

Just a couple thoughts...I have the wider ex axle too, but isn't it only 1/2" wider, or maybe it's 3/4"? Split between the two sides, that's not much.
When wheeling, i would always get the slightest amount of contact of tire to inside wheel well when flexing good. Granted, it would be directly above the axle, so if shocks were angled forward or back, it may not matter so much.

Back