Anyone with the greater Phoenix AZ area that has a super scan tool, one equal to the Ford dealer's?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone with the greater Phoenix AZ area that has a super scan tool, one equal to the Ford dealer's??

OK Retryed it.

Having no instructions I did the normal setup. Launched program.

Plug connector onto OBDII Port.

Turned key on.

Saw NO reaction to anything.

Got no reaction to any of the buttons on left side.

Pictures:

IMG_0138.JPG IMG_0141.JPG IMG_0142.JPG IMG_0143.JPG IMG_0144.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will look for basic instructions.

OK Seems there is a LOT not explained or instructed:
The USB vLinker FS which is HIGHLY suggested BY Forscan, had some 7 Pages of instruction and a driver to be down loaded:

And to add to my fun of the four old laptops only one is a) sata hard drive that I can upgrade to a Solid State drive, and B) bright and contrasted enough to even SEE in the cab of my truck, and IT has a bad hard drive, it keeps locking up and I cannot clone this drive as it is bad.

A Toshiba Satellite A215-S5837

So tomorrow I will do a clean win 7 install.

Then install a few special car software, including Forscan and the vlinker drivers.

Rich

That is a vintage laptop, back when they had S video ports for external monitors.

I know but it is a good one...and paid for...

New problem, I downloaded the driver to the vlink BUT:

Followed these instructions: (see picture below)

Now it will not run/work in a Laptop running win7 as in device manger there is a yellow triangle with a “!” in it and it saids:

“Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the driver, windows require this for this device”

They wrote back:

Rich:

FTDI does not make this product or software and cannot provide support.

Please contact the OEM for assistance.

Best Regards,

Cameron Forbes
Customer Support Engineer

I thing he thinks I am asking for help on Ford Scan so I wrote back:

I am talking about the driver I downloaded from your site:

The VCP Driver for Windows I downloader from here: VCP Drivers - FTDI

So far no replay.

Anyone know how to get past this blockage??

Rich

Instructions PG 1.jpg

I've had USB based hardware be picky about which port on the PC it will decide to work. I'd remove the driver, try a different port

I tried it on two laptops and three USB ports...on XP and Win 7.

I tried it on two laptops and three USB ports...on XP and Win 7.
thats odd mine running 7 works just fine wonder if theres special drivers for this? does forscan still work with 7? does the dongle? sorry im just spitballing i suck at tech so not my place to say nothing. on the other hand im figuring out wix software, next is YT hahaha

Update:

Problem:

All my Laptops are too old for the new ForScan software and Vlinker hook up.

The only system I had on hand is a midsized Desktop running a Dell Middle 990 Mother board running an I5 CPU. I tested it and it works.

Problem is this kind of set is NOT very portable… A PC desktop box, a monitor, a keyboard, a mouse and some platform to set all on top of. One part at a time.

I have an old Dell oddball system, a monitor on a stand that also holds an old odd computer that is mounted on the stand but the power supply is a big box like external power supply for a laptop…and the keyboard and mouse all sit on a desk surface not on any kind of table mounted to the stand…dumb set in my book.

Only the monitor and PC is contained on the stand, the a keyboard, a mouse and the dambass power supply is separate and have to be moved one at a time….

And worst sadly this dumb computer also is too old to run ForScan.

Solution is another of my Coyleizations: I ordered a Mini Dell 990 computer (the same as the large desktop system) that runs an I5 CPU and is self-contained with an internal power supply the way God intended.

So to make this a handy set up I mounted a board across the stands legs which I then mounted a small key board, mounted the Dell 990 computer in place of the old odd model and eureka, a self-contained portable mini desk top car testing and servicing computer.

So now I have a working Forscan system…

But my membership to the Forscan form is not good anymore and I cannot get help as this is disabled.

It would be a great help if someone local can help.

I need to clear the key codes in two 03/04 PCM and then program them to use my SUVs keys.

Rich

IMG_0209.JPG

^ You must have some REALLY old laptop(s), Forscan for windows should support "Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10 x32/x64. If Forscan supports your vlinker dongle, that should be all you need, not any software that came with vlinker. If Forscan does not support the vlinker dongle, you might need a different dongle.

I did overlook one possibility, that vlinker needs a driver provided for windows to recognize it, but looking on Amazon, there are multiple products called vlinker. I would as soon get an ELM327 based USB adapter, compatible with Forscan, that has a driver for your laptop, as an old laptop is great to have for automotive diagnostic using forscan. Note that pretty old hardware can run semi-modern OS (depending on what you call semi-modern), I have a WinXP era (2006) laptop running Win7 for beater use. I used an IDE to SATA adapter to throw an SSD in, instead of the old, probably would be dead by now, original HDD.

I don't understand what you mean by "my membership to the forscan forum is not good any more". Were you a member and they banned you? If not, a forum account there does not expire, AFAIK... maybe if it went unused for (years?) or something, or maybe if they have changed the forum software since your registration, you might need to recreate a new account or something, or just create a new account anyway if the old one doesn't work.

IIRC you may need a forscan forum account to request the extended license to do key programming. I could be wrong. See this topic:

You must have some REALLY old laptop(s), Forscan for windows should support "Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10 x32/x64. If Forscan supports your vlinker dongle, that should be all you need, not any software that came with vlinker. If Forscan does not support the vlinker dongle, you might need a different dongle.

The problem was the Vlink, and the Forscan site says buy it not the ELM327 so I did as told and it was what I could not get working…

I did overlook one possibility, that vlinker needs a driver provided for windows to recognize it, but looking on Amazon, there are multiple products called vlinker. I would as soon get an ELM327 based USB adapter, compatible with Forscan, that has a driver for your laptop, as an old laptop is great to have for automotive diagnostic using forscan. Note that pretty old hardware can run semi-modern OS (depending on what you call semi-modern), I have a WinXP era (2006) laptop running Win7 for beater use. I used an IDE to SATA adapter to throw an SSD in, instead of the old, probably would be dead by now, original HDD.

I found one computer running WIN 10 that worked…so I got the same thing in a mini case…and cloned the hard drive.

I don't understand what you mean by "my membership to the forscan forum is not good any more". Were you a member and they banned you?

Not that I know of, it says “You used the wrong user name.” and does not allow you to say I forgot my user name and I cannot contact the aman as that feature is no longer working either…

If not, a forum account there does not expire, AFAIK... maybe if it went unused for (years?) Could be I do not remember when I joined…

or something, or maybe if they have changed the forum software since your registration, you might need to recreate a new account or something, or just create a new account anyway if the old one doesn't work.

Those features do not work at this time as well. The WAR maybe….

IIRC you may need a forscan forum account to request the extended license to do key programming. I could be wrong. See this topic:

How to program PATS using FORScan v2.3.* - FORScan forum

So now I will try to reprogram the PATS and KEYs

Rich

OK here is the $64,000.00 Question:

I need to replace my 03 Explorer PCM made before Aug 03 for a PCM made AFTER Aug 03 So I got a Sept 03 and a nov 03 PCMs matching my 4.6, 4WD and 3.73 Rear end.

I am told I can run them but for the PATS..and if I clear the key codes and reprogram they to my trucks keys it should run…

OR do I really need to do the VIN Number reprograming??

Why all this fuss?? Because:

Important knowledge for all Ford Explorers OWNERS with SUVs made from March 02 to Aug. 03 with the 5R55s transmissions.

My 03 Ford Explorer 5R55s with a 4.6 and 4WD XLT needed its 5R55s transmission rebuilt.

Not a problem.

Until they tried ordering a new Solenoid pack, seems my Explorer has a 5R55S but it has a 02/03 model Solenoid pack # 1L22-7G391-AE or AG.

Al is a sharp mechanic and knew of a problems with the early version of the build run for my Explorer, he talked with ATRA ATRA - Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association “The largest transmission rebuilders association in the World” and confirmed what he had read about a mismatch between the model of Solenoid packs were installed by Ford from March 02 to August 03 and was another of Ford’s short term parts runs and that the newer Solenoid Packs (after Aug 03) will not work correctly in some 30% of the trucks made within those build dates they are put into.

The solenoids are operated by PWM controls and the newer pack needs a matching newer PCM, made after Aug 2003.

The BIG problem is Ford is no longer making the March 02 to Aug 03 Solenoid pack, and there are NOWHERE to be found, so it is either run a used (the one that was in the truck with 203K on it or a rebuilt one. EVERYONE saids NO rebuilt/re-manufacture one NO WAY no how.

I have been told that Ford really had a lot of problems with those Solenoid Packs and dumped and obsoleted them as soon and as fast as they could.

So the only fix was to get a newer version Solenoid Pack and swap in a matching PCM.

I was beginning to think I would have a better chance of getting a copy of the REAL government's report on Roswell and the UFOs than finding someone who can tell me about the different between Ford Explorer’s 03 PCMs VS the 04 PCMs. Or how to read the model number coding, even the so called Hardware Code is unknown and unknowable.

HELP

Rich

I just love all of this, talked with a LOT of people, even PCM sellers...NO ONE...I say NO ONE pointed out that after Aug. 03 Ford Explorers are running 04 PCMs...with TOTALLY DIFFERENT PLUGS

I spent months and about $100.00 FOR 2 PCMs out or real 03 Trucks....

They are for sale.

Rich

Not to twist the knife but I think a few of us mentioned can bus started in 04 and those pcms would not work in your 03

I know And others said can bus started in 02....plus they sold Explorers after Aug 03 as 03s...and they are registered as 03s....

Now what I really needed to hear was THEY CHANGED THE PLUGS....

Rich

@racprops What is it that you are trying to do and just to be clear, Do you have the 104 pin PCM or the later style?
There is a guy in Louisiana that may can help you. He has been working at his craft for 25+ years. Below is a sample of what he can do,

$0+ - FREE Tune Analysis​

This service is provided free of charge for those with current tunes from ANOTHER tuner who wishes to have a second opinion on their current tune.
Highly modified vehicles that require dyno pulls will be charged a fee. If you are DIY tuning, simply post your tune and a warm cruise datalog on the Forum.

$100+ - Current Tune Adjustment **Local Only**​

Recommended for those who have current tunes from ANOTHER tuner that wishes to make slight tweaks for performance, fuel economy, or street manners.
This service is provided FREE OF CHARGE for those with current tunes from Affiliate Tuners / Shops. Keep in mind, this requires that your current tune is correctly dialed in. Can read out current tunes to adjust idle, cranking, cold startups, spark, fuel etc... and can even do a complete a/b comparison so you can see what all your custom tune has modified, no more guessing!

$100+ - ECU Re-Flashing (NO TUNING)​

This service is provided for those who already have a working tune on an external J3 chip or a handheld flashing device. This service also includes calibrating the speedometer for rear axle ratio or tire size changes. This can also be used for ECU REPLACEMENT. If you have a faulty ecu/pcm, bring or ship both the old ecu and new ecu in to have the existing tune and anti-theft PATS code copied over from the old ecu to the new ecu (+$100). This also applies to all engine swaps as well, keep your cluster, keys, transponder, and update the pats code in the ecu, no more swapping everything for V6 to V8 or GT to Cobra engine swaps. No need in spending additional money at the dealership to have your PATS system reprogrammed. You may also request to have your HEX pats code if you'd like to keep a backup for your records. Will also update your stored VIN - Vehicle Identification Number for hot rod swaps or just to update your VIN in the ecu if required to have it for emissions purposes. In cases where your vehicle is using an outdated calibration code, your PCM can be updated to the latest ford or beta code available with your custom tune applied as well (when applicable).

I can send you his info VIA private message.

I know And others said can bus started in 02....plus they sold Explorers after Aug 03 as 03s...and they are registered as 03s....

Now what I really needed to hear was THEY CHANGED THE PLUGS....

Rich
I remember you posting about how you went to the junk yards to get those 2 pcms before you edited all the posts about this project and deleted most everything. You had to look at your existing pcm to get the part number 3L2A-12A650-AXB off it. The junk yard has an interchange database on their computers, or you could Google the part # and see an image of the pcm socket, or physically remove the plug from your pcm, etc but your way of doing due diligence is waiting for someone on this forum to tell you that an 04 pcm has a different connector? I wonder what @Mbrooks420 would say?

No wonder that I'm in the dark...

This all started when my 03 needed its 5R55s rebuilt.

During its rebuilding I was told that my re-builder could NOT get a new soloild pack, as Ford had obsoleted them. AND that he was very concerned with possibly having to use a rebuilt pack which most feel are never done right.

He referred me to the nation wide Automatic Transmission rebuilders association which has issued a warning about this problem and THEY SAID to do the rebuilding of my 03 Transmission we SHOULD use the newer style 04 Pack AND SWAP in a 04 PCM, other wise we could be dealing with THEY SAID a 30% chance of failure of the transmission.

Aperantly THEY had NOT gone into what this upgrade would require...

So I began my quest to do that.

I discovered that information about such swaps to be a big mystery as I could lean almost nothing about how to match a 04 PCM to my 03.

AND MADDENING NO ONE EVER pointed out the MAJOR plug change.

At the end my transmission has been running its original PCM and its original Pack. So far so good.

The Automatic Transmission rebuilders association did send me to one of their own ex-partners who rebuilds the packs and I have as a standby pack one of his lifetime warranted packs, whom they considered the World Best Pack Rebuilder.

This quest was very very frustrating, I spend months hammering away seeking information on doing this swap and NO ONE out of all the many many PCM tuners, rebuilders and so called exsperts even said anything about the plugs.

As a exchamble IF I was to post questions about converting my 5R55 to a 6R80, well there I will be told about rather the bell housing can bolt up to my engine, about flex plate problems, about transmission controls, about drive shaft changes, in fact near everything needed to do such a swap.

I have working on car for most of my life, from 1965 up to today. I have swapped interiours, clusters, transmisions, engines and I mean differnt engines and transmissions, a TH350 to a Switch Pitch TH400, a chevy 350 to 200R4, a Chevy 350 to a OLDs 350, a Ford 298 to a Ford 351, and nearly always I was able to look things up and or get advice/help.

I was very and still am surprised about the lack of simple help and or warnings like THE PLUGS are not the same and other help in these efforts to improve my rides.

Rich

PS I did my best with spelling but am not inclided to work any harder on that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No wonder that I'm in the dark...
I hope my last post helped clear up some of my problems.

I am very surprised by what Mbrooks420 is quote as saying...

I don't think I said any thing bad...

I have helped and shared when every I could like that I was able to use the lowering springs on a 03 4 Wheel drive Explorer...etc.

And if they had NOT fitted and not worked I would also share that.

I also shared how I swapped a 02 Cluster into my 03 as the 02 has MUCH better visibility in hard AZ sunlight over the nearly invisible 03 up clusters.

When and if my adding a second over drive works and I get 25+ MPG OR NOT I will report that and share all the details as HOW I did it.

The latest is:

Had a talk with gear venders, they claim A) no room for one…B) nothing can improve my MPG, C) My 5R55s has its OWN VSS/speed sensor and if I switch in a second overdrive the PCM will flip out as the VSS does not compute with the Speed sensor in the transmission.

They claim FORD compiling with CAFA gives the Explorer all the POSSIBLE MPG and nothing can change that….that it is a brick.

I strongly disagree with his words.

I think and believe other wise.

Rich

Back