Anyone with the greater Phoenix AZ area that has a super scan tool, one equal to the Ford dealer's?? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone with the greater Phoenix AZ area that has a super scan tool, one equal to the Ford dealer's??

I hope my last post helped clear up some of my problems.

I am very surprised by what Mbrooks420 is quote as saying...

I don't think I said any thing bad...

I have helped and shared when every I could like that I was able to use the lowering springs on a 03 4 Wheel drive Explorer...etc.

And if they had NOT fitted and not worked I would also share that.

I also shared how I swapped a 02 Cluster into my 03 as the 02 has MUCH better visibility in hard AZ sunlight over the nearly invisible 03 up clusters.

When and if my adding a second over drive works and I get 25+ MPG OR NOT I will report that and share all the details as HOW I did it.

The latest is:

Had a talk with gear venders, they claim A) no room for one…B) nothing can improve my MPG, C) My 5R55s has its OWN VSS/speed sensor and if I switch in a second overdrive the PCM will flip out as the VSS does not compute with the Speed sensor in the transmission.

They claim FORD compiling with CAFA gives the Explorer all the POSSIBLE MPG and nothing can change that….that it is a brick.

I strongly disagree with his words.

I think and believe other wise.

Rich
My signature would be 10 pages long if I used all his best quotes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don’t see what the issue is. Swap the connector and be done?

As for Gear Vendors, why would he try to talk you out of giving him profit?

You’re adding weight, rotational mass, and drag. You’re hyper focused on RPM. There’s a reason the transmission has the final gear it does. If it could pull a substantially deeper gear, I guarantee Ford would have used it for their fleet MPG number.

I don’t see where the free energy is going to come from. I think you’d have to substantially lower the truck, and add some low rpm torque or you’re just going to be chasing your tail.

My signature would be 10 pages long if I used all his best quotes.
So are those quotes aimed at me or you just like them??

Rich

You’re adding weight, rotational mass, and drag. You’re hyper focused on RPM. There’s a reason the transmission has the final gear it does. If it could pull a substantially deeper gear, I guarantee Ford would have used it for their fleet MPG number.

I don’t see where the free energy is going to come from. I think you’d have to substantially lower the truck, and add some low rpm torque or you’re just going to be chasing your tail.
I have done a bunch of work on MPG, and seen that a 2000 Mercury Grand Marques with a 4.6 4 speed auto and a 327 rear end can get 30MPG at 1700RPMs at 65MPH.

That a 02 Explorer with a 4.0 5speed with 373 can get 30MPG at 1500RPMs at 50MPH

And my 03 with a 4.6 5speed and 373 can get 30MPG at 1500RPMs at 50MPH

These MPGs at those RPMs and speed are repeatable.

SO there is only three things that can be causing the bad Gas mileage, as all of the cars get worst MPG the faster you go, the standard story is wind resistance....or RPMs, of a program to use fuel...in the PCM.

It is well known that cars in Europe get better MPG, but the same cars shipped to the US don't...and a old trick rich car nut people would pull was to take their car overseas, and get a local PCM and the stories that once home they get better MPG....

The 85/90 Camaros with TPI were able to gain 5 to10MPG by turning on a trick setting in their PCMs called Lean Burn Cruse....

You did not change anything else.

I am a long time member here: Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - Ecomodder.com Fuel Economy Forum I have seen exsteam things done to get MPG including boot tsild under psnd, removing wipers, drip rails, side mirrors, blocked grills and more and seemly only gain a MPG or two...areo does not seem to make a ton of difference.... I have not see someone that a 32MPG car and add all the areo and get 64MPG with JUST doing that.

And another test is to draft a Big rig, right up inside his bubble...and again I have not see a gain of say 10MPG doing that either...

SO I do think I can do better.

And I do think the car makers can and will not build such a car...when was the last time YOU bought a car for its great MPG??

The big selling points is HP and HOW fast it can go from zero to 60, as if that really is NEEDED!!! For anything but thrills.

Rich

I see that I did not answer your questions directly:

Q) As for Gear Vendors, why would he try to talk you out of giving him profit?

A) I figure two reasons, one it is a complex fitting job, and if he is right about a conflict with the rear end VSS and the transmission's OSS then he has no fix.

Also he said he does not work on newer cars.

Q) You’re adding weight, rotational mass, and drag.

A) Weight yes, but not even the same as one adult...do you feel having another person aboard cuts YOUR mpg badly??

B) Rotational mass: a little but I believe it will be off set by the gains.

A) Drag, as in wind it will be tucked up behind the main transmission,,,so no drag.

Q) You’re hyper focused on RPM. Yes that I did answer...

Q) There’s a reason the transmission has the final gear it does. If it could pull a substantially deeper gear, I guarantee Ford would have used it for their fleet MPG number.

A) No they put gears in for performance, this is a little truck made as a SUV, so the gearing is for best OVERALL performance, rock climbing, and towing, after all it comes with a trailer hitch and plug, my god she is one fast little truck, the hot rodder in me LOVES how she JUMPS off the line...the smart guy in me thinks those 373s are NOT needed to get her off the line, in fact she will take off mildly in second and third with no fuss.

Overdrive ratios are going lower: the 5r55 OD is .71 and the OD in a 6R80 is .69, and 8R80 is .65 and in a 10R80 it is .64

I had a 56 Studebaker Golden Hawk in 1965 and raced Mustangs on the streets, this was a 10 year old car, with a heavy full frame and heavier thicker sheet metal body and yet I could beat them across the Intersections but they would over take me as I had to shift to second as my Studebaker 289 would not run over 5K...

I beat them because my Studebaker had a even taller rear end around 411 or higher stock...it was usable as it had a 3 speed with overdrive.

In 4th it was running at around 3K at 65/70MPH....but NO ONE cared about MPG then.

I also have a 68 VW BUG a 1600 (1.6L) engine a 4 speed stick shift trany, NO water pump, no power steering, no A/C, That SHOULD get 60MPG...but it does not it is lucky to get 25MPG at 65/70MPH because of its gearing...

My wife's 2000 Toyota with all the bad stuff a bigger engine, A/C, power everything, automatic gets 35+ MPG at 65/70MPH....

Rich

Now IF I was to build up a car, I would take my 03 Crown Vic and put in a 6R80 transmission in because with the super low gears in first and second she will pull a 273 rear end with as much jump or more that she does now with her stock 4 speed AND run much lower RPMs at speed.

Like this:

6r80 2.73 A.jpg

6r80 2.73 B.jpg

That crown vic would need a lot more power to see 228 mph. The operator would need a giant set of chromoly spheres.

That crown vic would need a lot more power to see 228 mph. The operator would need a giant set of chromoly spheres.
Yes there the wind restrictions Do add up. just like how they use to say the add on wings and spoilers were just junk under 80MPH, and most were not really set or tuned to really correct a car response or real handling, they were just silly cosmetic toys.

Look at real racing cars and how big they air foils are for creating down force...in relation to the size of the car.

Rich

I have done a bunch of work on MPG, and seen that a 2000 Mercury Grand Marques with a 4.6 4 speed auto and a 327 rear end can get 30MPG at 1700RPMs at 65MPH.

That a 02 Explorer with a 4.0 5speed with 373 can get 30MPG at 1500RPMs at 50MPH

And my 03 with a 4.6 5speed and 373 can get 30MPG at 1500RPMs at 50MPH

These MPGs at those RPMs and speed are repeatable.

SO there is only three things that can be causing the bad Gas mileage, as all of the cars get worst MPG the faster you go, the standard story is wind resistance....or RPMs, of a program to use fuel...in the PCM.

It is well known that cars in Europe get better MPG, but the same cars shipped to the US don't...and a old trick rich car nut people would pull was to take their car overseas, and get a local PCM and the stories that once home they get better MPG....

The 85/90 Camaros with TPI were able to gain 5 to10MPG by turning on a trick setting in their PCMs called Lean Burn Cruse....

You did not change anything else.

I am a long time member here: Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - Ecomodder.com Fuel Economy Forum I have seen exsteam things done to get MPG including boot tsild under psnd, removing wipers, drip rails, side mirrors, blocked grills and more and seemly only gain a MPG or two...areo does not seem to make a ton of difference.... I have not see someone that a 32MPG car and add all the areo and get 64MPG with JUST doing that.

And another test is to draft a Big rig, right up inside his bubble...and again I have not see a gain of say 10MPG doing that either...

SO I do think I can do better.

And I do think the car makers can and will not build such a car...when was the last time YOU bought a car for its great MPG??

The big selling points is HP and HOW fast it can go from zero to 60, as if that really is NEEDED!!! For anything but thrills.

Rich
I bought a car for its great MPG in 2018. I can absolutely hammer it, and still get over double mileage of the Explorer. It was very clear that for the gas money I was throwing away it would almost entirely pay for the car, and I don’t have to drive very particular, and annoying, ways to do it.

I drive too much highway to care about what the mileage is at 50.

I bought a car for its great MPG in 2018. I can absolutely hammer it, and still get over double mileage of the Explorer. It was very clear that for the gas money I was throwing away it would almost entirely pay for the car, and I don’t have to drive very particular, and annoying, ways to do it.

I drive too much highway to care about what the mileage is at 50.
Reads like Toyota Prius And yes they get great MPG, as long as your happy with about 24 Cubic Ft cargo space VS 88Cu.ft. in the Explorer and my 93 G20's cargo Volume: 260.00 cu ft. It is made into a stealth RV that still looks like standard party van...

My goal is to get my Explorer and Van to get the best MPG I can and hope for 25MPG in each.

If I need higher I can get it in our 2000 Toyota Camry with its trunk space of only 16.1 Cu.Ft. with its 34MPG Highway at 65/70MPH.

Rich

If you want high mpg at a low rpm I still think a diesel is the way to go.

Definitely not a Pruis. Cargo room is completely moot, as I’m normally hauling me around. Plus, if in need space I can tow a trailer, or just take the Mounty. No magic required.

If you want high mpg at a low rpm I still think a diesel is the way to go.
Diesels are too costly and there is no room for MPG improvement...I believe I can do better with gasoline.

Rich

Diesels are too costly and there is no room for MPG improvement...I believe I can do better with gasoline.

Rich
I'm swapping a V6 diesel into a Jeep Liberty. I'm going to regear it so I can get over 30 mpg on the Freeway. I'll post my results when completed.

Why would there be no benefit with a diesel? It’s surely be the best motor to lug at a super low rpm.

Why would there be no benefit with a diesel? It’s surely be the best motor to lug at a super low rpm.
It is a fixed locked in system, there is only room for MORE HP but I know of nothing that can be done to get better MPG with a Diesel.

Rich

Back