anything better than FM transmitter for 2002 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anything better than FM transmitter for 2002 Explorer?

carteriii

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT, '02 Eddie Bauer
I already have Sirius in another car, and would like to add a Sirius tuner to my 2002 Explorer factory head unit with the CD player. I have tried a number of the FM transmitters hooked up to mp3 players, and have found all the FM transmitters to be inadequate. No matter what frequency I use, the signal always gets some interference and is generally average quality at best. I don't know if the FM transmitters in the satellite radio car kits are simply stronger or higher quality than what I've used in the past, so if someone knows for certain please say so.

My 2002 Explorer does not have a cassette deck, so I cannot use a cassette adapter, and to the best of my knowledge these head units do not include any auxilary input. Does anyone have any tricks or techniques (other than getting a new head unit) to improve upon the quality of the connection?

For example, is there a hack that would allow me to effectively have an aux input? Perhaps there is a clean way to intercept the CD player line-in and replace the signal with that from the satellite radio tuner?

Alternatively, I thought there used to be antenna Y-connectors that would allow an FM transmitter to put its signal directly on the line in such a way that it takes precedence over any signals over the air. Am I making that up, or does such a device exist, and if so are there any FM transmitters that would support such an antenna connection?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found one item from Crutchfield which is a JVC FM modulator that does plug directly into the antenna line (crutchfield part #257KSIF200). Anyone have any experience with this, or other suggestions? Thanks again.

That looks perfect. Thank you very much. I just went to PIE's website and my only concern is that it completely disables the CD player. Can you tell me how yours works? Does the signal simply come from the aux unit when there is a signal from the aux unit, and otherwise pass-through the CD? Or do you just have to make sure the CD isn't playing, because the signals are both put on the same wire? Either would be fine. I just want to make sure I don't lose the ability to play CDs without additional wiring changes (while driving). Thanks again.

I don't use a P.I.E. adapter, personally. I have an XM ready Pioneer head unit that I attached a Pioneer tuner to. I just came across the P.I.E. stuff when I was looking for options for my wife's car. She has a non-XM Alpine unit that doesn't have auxiliary inputs. She does have a CD changer controller (which she doesn't use), so I got her an adapter to use that output. Still not hooked up (surprise gift, I'm still waiting for the Delphi Roady to complete it).

I think they do have options that allow you to use a CD controller AND an aux input, but it may not work with OEM stereos.

Good luck.

Your HU has to have a CD changer port to be able to use the PIE input converter. They work good though I use one and like it a lot.

Back