Apten Who? (Hypnotic Illusions and Bamachips are the new rulers of the SCT world!) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Apten Who? (Hypnotic Illusions and Bamachips are the new rulers of the SCT world!)

Albino 94LTD said:
Still is,,,,,,,at SCT.

He is the one Wayne and Doug get their base programs from, then they add their magic to that.

Actually, Brian came into SCT well after their inception. I was dealing with SCT before Brian arrived there. Chris Johnson and Jerry Wrobleski did most of the base tunes, and Brian and the other tech guys have modified them from there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And what makes a tuner good is the time they spend with a particular vehicle, they take the time to know what to do to it. You can always get the SCT PRP and tune it yourself but that is only if you are doing modification after modification.

Chuck

Appreciate all the info on the state of chips. Until today, I thought Apten was the only way to go.

I have a question: If you're planning on running regular 87 most of the time, does it make sense to get a chip - is there a noticable difference with a performance tune from stock at 87 octane or do you need to run premium to really take advantage of it?

thanks

I have the BamaChip Xcalibrator 87 Performance program loaded right now on mine and can tell a difference. Your low end torque shift settings are adjusted so you get higher rpm revs through the gears around 3000 rpm for shifting compared to 2-2500 and throttle response is increased.

pjm said:
Appreciate all the info on the state of chips. Until today, I thought Apten was the only way to go.

I have a question: If you're planning on running regular 87 most of the time, does it make sense to get a chip - is there a noticable difference with a performance tune from stock at 87 octane or do you need to run premium to really take advantage of it?

thanks

YES
YES
YES
You can't go wrong, 87, 92 what have you.

pjm said:

thanks

Nothwithstanding what I said about the 91 programs in my "review", I'm using Bama's 87 performance program right now. I asked Doug about a 87 torque program and he said his "torque programming" is better suited to 91+ octane. That being said, I do notice a bit of performance drop with 87. I found out the hard way when I got used to 91 after a few weeks, and got caught flat footed once. The Ex just doesn't feel as powerful with 87, at least to me. HOWEVER, it still feels MUCH better than stock. It's much more responsive and shifts much smoother. That's why it makes sense to at least try a dual program, and maybe 3-4 depending on which route you take.

Thanks again for the info.

I already installed a Trans-Go shift kit and synthetic fluid due to classic mushy shifts (highly recommended by the way). My understanding is that no shift enhancements would be included on a chip if I already have a shift kit as that would cause the line pressures to be too high and I'd blow solenoids (this from Doug). So I already have nice firm shifts that I'm satisfied with.

Sooo, with the KKN intake I have and no other performance mods it sounds like I could see around 6-8 rwhp increase at 87 octane with a good chip, and an overall improved torque curve throughout the range. That should bump up with a good cat back and tb, and almost double (12-16 rwhp) with a 91 octane tune. I have the OHV, not SOHC.

Make sense?

HypIllAuto said:
Actually, Brian came into SCT well after their inception. I was dealing with SCT before Brian arrived there. Chris Johnson and Jerry Wrobleski did most of the base tunes, and Brian and the other tech guys have modified them from there.

Way too small of a world. Chris Johnson formerly of JMS out of Alabama I am guessing, right? And then Brian Herron. God I had some looooooong convo's on the phone with Brian back when he was at Apten. He really was a big part of that place. I was glad to see him come to SCT. Heck we had talked about the PTEC CAN's long before he was out of Apten. I guss they just didnt have enough foresight for him to stay there. Even when he was with Apten he was able to do flash tunes for the new pcm's in the 02+ X's. Of course now it is made a heck of alot easier with the new handheld tuner that went on the market a little less than 6 months ago. Good times for tuning for us.

Noticed most of the increased performance is with the SOHC 4.0, wondering if it's a noticeable increase withe the OHV. Don't mind my sig, I traded to a '98 sport, auto.

Signing up to watch the this thread.

me too

Does anyone have supporting data such as a Dyno chart to verify the claims that this chip/tune is better than another?
What data do you have that a truck with a tune is better than one with exhause and a cold air?

be patient.
In about a week or two Aldive is going to dyno his Explorer rather extensively.
Diferent chip programs, diferent intakes, and so on.

It should yield TONS of information

MONMIX said:
be patient.
In about a week or two Aldive is going to dyno his Explorer rather extensively.
Diferent chip programs, diferent intakes, and so on.

It should yield TONS of information

The Dyno date is set for April 9.

aldive said:
The Dyno date is set for April 9.

Looking forward to it, thanks.

race4food said:
Does anyone have supporting data such as a Dyno chart to verify the claims that this chip/tune is better than another?
What data do you have that a truck with a tune is better than one with exhause and a cold air?

People, keep in mind that it is not the chip itself it is the tuner and how good they are. Most anything offered in a Diablo, Superchips or SCT form will be good hardware. Different options are to be had with the different hardware , but nothing sets the others apart in general from the others. It is the software programming that makes the difference. A tuner could start out with great hardware and possibilities for great results and just not tune things right and gain very little power. Others do wonders. It all depends on the tuner themself. It is something I research closely before I take any of my vehicles to any tuner. That is why Brian Herron was soo well known in the mustang and explorer and other vehicles world, because he had (still does)a good reputation.

As for your question? I guess you asked if doing an exhaust and CAI would yeild more power than a chip? On average, the combination of the exh. and CAI would yeild around the same total power gain if not a tad more as a well tuned chip would. Again, it all depends on the tuner, and what vehicle you got. Some vehicles stock intake and exhausts are really restrictive and when opened up even slightly, produce alot more power, others do not. To put things in better terms though. Think of the total price for the intake and exhaust. intakes go for around $200 on average, I have seen some for more and I have bought some for less. Exhaust can cost you anywhere from a little over $200 or so for a premade catback single out, to past $600 for a custom mandrel bent setup made for your vehicle. The chips and flashers, depending on the type, run around $225-350. Going from a money and pure power standpoint the chip is the way to go if that is all you plan on doing. Some people like a loud exhaust, so that outweighs the price difference enough to make a person go that route sooner. Another factor is that if you get a chip right away and then mod the vehicle later, then you will have to retune the chip to once again get maximum power out of the whole setup. Its all about priorities and goals.

race4food said:
Stay tuned in

Back