ARC bracket for taller shackles

kevin p

Reaction score
City, State
Telford Shropshire England
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4.o sohc
Hi Guys,
I've just made a bracket that relocates the ARC bracket where it fixes on the axle.
Because I've got standard height shackles on, I raised my Ex's body 1 1/2 inches at the axle and found that a 30mm bracket brought the sensor angle back to the original angle.
If anyones interested it will be £5 including painting, bolts and postage.
I hope this will sort out the ARC light coming on.
Any input on the height of the bracket would be appreciated as it was awkward trying to get the right height, but I think it will be OK.
Kev.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup--count me in Kev-- I aint had the chance to rest under the car yet this bank holiday....her who must be strangled! Has put me in the kitchen- to put up units and new lights........So if it comes in the post- I will be forced to rest under the car as a matter of urgency!

Cheers- H
Please pm your address again mate- I never saved it- sorry!
Regard H
Ps..now I gotta change my signature again!
LOL

Hi Howard and H,
Will post you each a bracket in next couple of days.
If it solves the problem let me know.
Kev.

That's great Kev. Will try it out and let you guys all know. Let me know how much and how to get it to you.

Howard and H,
Brackets sent this morning.
Kev.:)

Bracket installed. A lovely piece of engineering and complete with fitting instructions. Will let you know how it goes and watch for the postman. :D

Thanks Howard. Hope it works.

Well guys pleased to say that yesterday I loaded her up with a few computers and the pump kicked in just like always. So I would definitely put this one down as a success.:D

Hmm, I did mine also, as I did mine I tested the sensor by pushing up on it- it works fine and sent the car up around an inch. But after I fitted the bracket- I lubed the balljoints on the ladder and the sensor and replaced it all.

Jumped on the bumper and.........nothing! I loaded the drums in and went off to practice last night...arc never came on at all----BUT and its a good but- no warning lights have either!

I wonder whats up, maybe my upper bracket is bent- thats all I can think could be wrong as all the parts work fine!
Next time I get under the car- maybe this weekend I will bring it down a tad and see what differance that makes..

Hi H,
Seems strange As Howards seems to work.
I can make you an even taller one if you like.
If you do, just tell me what distances you want between the bolt holes.
Kev.

Its fine mate- dont think its anything wrong with your gear mate- I think something else is slightly outa wack! Funnt how I can trigger by hand, but jump up and down on the bumper and nowt...Thats why I suspect the upper bracket may be bent a touch.
Wonder does anyone have the time to measure the gap between the ball joint the arc sensor works on and the floor of the Ex? That way I can compare and decide!!!!!

Ah yes I remeber I bent the top bracket down a bit, so maybe the new bracket needs to be a shade longer, say 1.5".

OK that would explain it then- one problem I have is that one of the two bolts that goes through the top bracket and a flange on the floor is sheared off...I noticed this, if I am correct I suspect that the bolts are not bolts but welded from the top bracket and so are not changeable!!!!

So to that end Kev- I wonder if you can knock me up a bracket with an increase in height of around and inch between the holes- I can use the same bolts I have again no problem with that- Or do you think I could myself drill out 2 pairs of holes on either side of the ones you did- if so I can do that instead?
Let me know what you think mate.

Oh by the way I will be sending you with payment a box of self lock bolts of various sizes I have had them for ages in the shed and simply cant find a use for them- I figure you could use them well mate! I cant even remember why I bought them in the first place!

But then, at 44 years old- there seems to be a lot I forget lately, thanks for all your effort Fred!

Doh!

Back