• Register Today It's free!

ARC for on board air?

davy crockett

Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XL
I'm looking at buying a '97 Limited that comes with ARC. I don't plan to keep the ride control system functional but it got me wondering if the compressor could be repurposed to run a small onboard air system, mostly to air up tires or maybe a future rear airbag mod.

I did some searching on the site but didn't find anything. Has this been done or is it not feasible?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's no reason that it wouldn't work, you'd need a pressure vessel and a relief valve.
You'd also need to work out a way of keeping the hoses tidy and accessible.

I knew a bloke who used his fabricated bumper as a pressure vessel and I read about someone who was talking about welding up the holes in his chassis and using one of the frame rails.

From my experience, the ARC pump goes on for a few seconds and then shuts off. If you run it for longer than what it was intended for, then it may overheat (bearing seizes in the motor).

If I remember correctly RookieShooter used a air ride pump from a Caddy for his on board air system.

Should be the same concept just using a diff factory pump.

From my experience, the ARC pump goes on for a few seconds and then shuts off. If you run it for longer than what it was intended for, then it may overheat (bearing seizes in the motor).

If this is the case, mount a fan and some kinda heat sink.

Back