Are bumpers swappable?

masospaghetti

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
Will any 2nd gen front bumper fit my 98 Explorer 4-door XLT? Mine is the older style with no fog lights. would like to change to either the older style with fog lights (square) or the newer style with the round fog lights.

Thx all!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will any 2nd gen front bumper fit my 98 Explorer 4-door XLT? Mine is the older style with no fog lights. would like to change to either the older style with fog lights (square) or the newer style with the round fog lights.

Thx all!

Yes, they are all interchangeable. I have a '00 bumper on the front of my '95.

I unbolted the bumper off the '00 frame and bolted it onto the '95 frame. It was 4 bolts.

I unbolted the bumper off the '00 frame and bolted it onto the '95 frame. It was 4 bolts.

I read somewhere about there being some sort of bumper support and then the bumper mounts to the support that mounts to the frame??

I read somewhere about there being some sort of bumper support and then the bumper mounts to the support that mounts to the frame??

Your probably thinking about the bodylift. Trucks with BLs need the bumper support, the rest of them all bolt to the frame mounts which are all the same

The bumpers may have slightly different style brackets on them, I dont remember. As long as you unbolt it from the frame and swap the whole thing, its a direct swap.

What about fog light connectors? Are they the same going from the rectangle ones to the circle ones?

Good question. My truck didnt have fog lights from the factory.

Hopefully somebody has some input on this one.

If not just pull the connectors off the old one. Positive is positive and negative is negative

If not just pull the connectors off the old one. Positive and negative dont matter, its only a light bulb.

Fixed that for you.

As far as I have been told, you can just swap the whole bumper out. just unbolt it from the frame, and make sure you keep the mounts, they may have changed throughout the years. as for the lights I am unsure about the wiring, but I plan when I do mine just to snip the connectors from the newer truck, and just solder the new connectors onto my wires that are already there.

I currently have the square fog lights, and I want the round ones, because I think it looks a lot meaner. plug the way the new bumpers are designed it will work better with my brush guard I have on my truck.

As far as I have been told, you can just swap the whole bumper out. just unbolt it from the frame,

Now you can say you've been shown, not just told.

My '95 with a '00 front bumper:

DSCF1759.jpg

Now you can say you've been shown, not just told.

My '95 with a '00 front bumper:

DSCF1759.jpg

I remember your picture from another thread I posted about the same topic. Your picture is actually the reason I am doing it, because your bumper clears the brush guard, so I know mine will. still on the search for a Eddie Bauer, light saddle color plastic though. I found one, except the bumper was stuffed into the rad, and was in the shape of a "V".

Pretty sure all the fog light connectors are the same on 2nd gens. I took a set off a 2000 for a 95 at a salvage yard. I looked at a few diff years and they all looked the same to me. The 2000 was just the easiest to get at to work on.

These are great to add a set of low watt lights you want to control with the stock dash switch. If you want a high watt set, just add a bigger relay and do the fog light switch mod so you have control when they are on/off no matter where the headlight selection is at. Those of us that have custom bumpers made, can really appreciate this. :)

Back