Are engines the same 92 & 94? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are engines the same 92 & 94?

Reaction score
City, State
Schenectady,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4 Door
The wifie's 92 Exploder has developed a little knockin to the engine and it isn't worth the $2300 that Advanced & Jasper want for a reman even though I plan on keeping her(truck) around for a couple more years. I just put in a new fuel pump & sender, plugs & wires, intake & valve cover gaskets, wp & stat, ps pump & box, radiator, brakes & tires all around, radius bushings & x-member and also new 4wd shift motor just in the past few months, plus had the trans rebult 40k ago. What I'm looking for is info on swapping an engine out of a 94 into the 92 would work as a direct swap or are the engines different slightly because of sensors, bellhousing/trans etc...? I found a 94 w 74k around the corner from me with a bad trans and would buy it for the engine but don't want the hassle of moddifying or swapping ecu and harnesses if possible.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what i know they are the same engine, and trans. Make sure both have the A4LD(Auto), or whatever the manual is.

I did a 96' into a 91' and had very little issues.

but then again, i had alot of help too!

Good Luck man

I believe they are interchangeable from a block perspective. You might need to swap top end, sensors, emissions components, etc. if you want to keep the 92 computer. By 94, they added EGR and made some other controls changes.

Spend some time and do some thorough searching on this site, it should be very doable.

PS, I'm very jealous you found a motor with 74K. Mine's got 264,000 miles. :)

Mike

I did the same thing you are looking for I have a 92 that blew head gaskets and warped the heads I bought a 94 from a junk yard and it fits fine. The only thing you should have an issuse with is the EGR the rest is straight forward bolts and re-connecting the wire harnesses.

use seafoam on that engine to get rid of the knock an i find especially with high milage engine make sure u change plugs every yr their cheap

Back