drakehound

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XL 4X4
Callsign
VE7DOW
I have a 1994 Explorer XL 4x4 with 4.0 L V6. The A4LD in it is the third one that it has had, and it has now failed, just like both of the others. This last A4LD has only lasted about 27,000 miles. It was installed by a dealer about twelve years ago. I am wondering whether they even installed the correct A4LD version for my vehicle.

I know that there are different versions of A4LD for different vehicles and different years. I know that there are different bearings, different bands, different solenoids... I'm sure there are other differences, too...

My question is: are all A4LD cases the same? In other words, no matter what version of A4LD they installed in my vehicle, can I have it rebuilt to the 1994 standards for my vehicle? ...or will the case potentially not allow that if it is not the correct one?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The cases are the same. One of the few things ford got right with the A4LD was putting light duty in the name. If I was shopping for a replacement transmission, I'd look at one with extra bands and clutches.

The early 1980s cases were a little different compared to the upgraded cases in the 1990s. The area where the Allen bolt inserts for the center support is slightly different, and the overfill opening on the top rear had a metal cover unlike the newer design with the tube fitting for a hose. I would recommend not using a roll pin for the rooster comb/shift linkage arm assembly. I cut & bent a nail for two different A4LD transmissions so that the L shaped area is easier to grab. Those roll pins get caught, and you end up damaging the case to remove it.

The cases are the same. One of the few things ford got right with the A4LD was putting light duty in the name. If I was shopping for a replacement transmission, I'd look at one with extra bands and clutches.

How do they get those extra bands and clutches to fit in the same case? Is machining of the case required?

The early 1980s cases were a little different compared to the upgraded cases in the 1990s. The area where the Allen bolt inserts for the center support is slightly different, and the overfill opening on the top rear had a metal cover unlike the newer design with the tube fitting for a hose. I would recommend not using a roll pin for the rooster comb/shift linkage arm assembly. I cut & bent a nail for two different A4LD transmissions so that the L shaped area is easier to grab. Those roll pins get caught, and you end up damaging the case to remove it.

Thank you for the response. I will keep that in formation in mind.

There is a link to the kit, I believe it can be assembled without any machine work.

Oh, thank you so much for the information.

By the way, I noticed that one of the other kits on that site claims to eliminate "chugging." Do you happen to know what that is?

Chugging with a manual transmission would be like shifting into overdrive at 35 mph. I've never really noticed the automatic doing that, the torque converter dissipates the effect.

Chugging with a manual transmission would be like shifting into overdrive at 35 mph. I've never really noticed the automatic doing that, the torque converter dissipates the effect.

Haha. Okay, thanks. I think that is what we refer to as "lugging" in this neck of the woods.

Back