Are the 4th generation (2006 - 2010) more reliable than the 3rd gen? ('02 - '05) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are the 4th generation (2006 - 2010) more reliable than the 3rd gen? ('02 - '05)

lgmagone

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
I'm disappointed with my X. It's been a nonstop maintenance train. I get Christmas cards from my mechanic now (not kidding).

Wondering if the 4th generation is more reliable than the 3rd generation?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think so. I have less trans, less wheel bearing, less hvac issues, less differential trouble, less spring breakage, less timing chain issues with our 2010 than any of my third gens. The 20 pound radiator cap and exploding radiators aside, I think they improved the 4th gen a lot. You will still need front hubs every 100K but nothing out of the ordinary.

I only had a 2nd so i can't speak for the 3rd generation, but mine has had one thing after another go wrong. But I think that's because I got a 2006. Ford later improved things like the spark plug problem, traction sensors, and radiators down the line. Heck, this past weekend, my hood struts just went out on me. From what I've gathered, 2008+ sounds like the way to go.

Compare the number of stickies on the 3rd gen page to the number on the 4th gen and I think you'll have your answer.

Been very happy with my '08. Got it 3 years ago at 51K, now has 145K and the only issue besides "wearing parts" was the radiator blew out at 100K (exactly 31 miles out of warranty). My wife treats it like a rental car and the thing is still rock solid, no leaks or fluid consumption, no transmission issues, nothing. Oil changes every 5K with Mobil1 EP/Motorcraft filter and spark plugs every 50K and she's happy.

Back