Are you comfortable taking your Ford truck to a Ford service center? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are you comfortable taking your Ford truck to a Ford service center?

n2knee

Reaction score
City, State
San Francisco,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 EB
Are you guys comfortable and confident taking your truck to a certified Ford service center? With all the news about Ford not compensating their techs (which transformed them to become "the disgruntled techs"), I'm hesitant to take my truck to them now. How about you guys?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends on the dealer. Check out all the dealers in your area. I actually go to different dealers in Houston for different problems because of the expertise of their techs.

Here is another reason why I am losing my confidence in them. I got it at Blueovalnews.com (BlueovalnewsMessage Board/Lightning/1999.5 & 2000 Lightning Recalls). This is the exact quote:

In most shops the techs do know of problems with the vehicles. However it is Ford who is training managers, it Fords policy's that breed exactly what you are talking about.

No problems found or normal operation is becoming more widespread. It is policy not to pay the tech for road tests, or even to look at your vehicle. They only pay for so called wrench time. An "A" grade tech has difficulty in making time anymore.

Writers and shopformen may not even know a problems exist, but the techs surly know. I recive many work orders that have cust. comments saying this is the 3rd or 4th time I have brought in for same problem. After some research I find out it never made it in the shop for a tech to look at. Either the Service Manager, shop forman, or writer has driven or checked out vehicle and found no problem.

Good practice don't you think. Sure saves ford a few bucks.

Want a tip from a tech. You got a trans problem ask to talk to the trans tech. You got a engine problem ask to talk to the engine tech. etc.. Ask writer for the best tech in the shop, that you have a technical question. Make one up if you have to, just to talk to one. When you finally get one, and like the opinion, slide them a couple of bucks.

It is a sad thing however that only 2 to 3 techs out of ten are worth talking to. Many have allready left. Lots of C & D techs though.

Best wishes

I might as well start bribing the techs just to have my truck get the maintenance.

Have yet to find a factory service center

...that I trust. I have an open RO for three warranty issues that required 6 days of maintenance time FOR NO REPAIRS. Part delayed, wrong part sent, have to wait, blah blah blah. With the tire thing, it's hell getting a scheduled time in. Ridiculous.

I blew a hub on my Ranger this weekend, I'm SOOOO glad I have a 3rd party warranty so I can take it to a REAL mechanic!!

Too bad, too bad.

Brian in CA

I wouldn't use a Ford service center, no way no how.

Now, I DO use a Ford service center, but only because I know the service rep personally. If it wasn't for him, I'd always use a "real" mechanic.

I use a real mechanic. The one I use has been in buisness for over 80 years. It was a shop co owned by him and his dad. These are the shops I feel comfertable takeing my truck to. Never once I have I had a problem with him. He will only change parts if he is 100% sure it is the problem. There was once where he did change a part and it didn't fix it but he didn't charge me for the part nor for the time it took him to fix it. I can in my truck anytime I want. He tells me when it will be done and have it done by the time he said. I try and find these people. I am alway 110% satisfied with his work.

Does the Ford extended warranty cover the costs incurred from an independent auto shop? Just curious.

I will only deal with Ford service if I absolutely have to for warranty work. It usually takes at least two visits to get the repairs done correctly, if they're done at all. You "guys" at least have the possibility of being taken seriously when you take the vehicle in - half the time they just pat me on my head and try to send me on my way without listening to a word I've said. Or come up with lame explanations, like "The reason the radio we just replaced under warranty is only playing out of the speakers on the left side of your truck is because of the kind of music you listen to..." HUH?? It couldn't have anything to do with the fact you guys installed it incorrectly?? (And scratched the heck out of my dash in the process??) Took two more visits to fix that one... I could tell you more stories like these but I think you get the point. Fortunately Rick's pretty good at most maintenance and we've got a couple good mechanics we know. If I've got to take it to a Ford service center I just hope for the best and plan on making more than one trip to get the work done. It's too bad - Ford sells some great vehicles but there are a lot of people who won't buy another one because of their service experiences.

I will only go to Ford for two reasons.

1. The truck is in for warranty work.
2. It is something ONLY Ford carries. ( Like the bearing nut and key if you happen to lose it).

My problem with dealers...

I also only go to a dealer if the work can't be done anywhere else. The problem I have is when they call you and tell you how much it will cost, then when you go pick it up, the cost is much more. And I am not talking about forgetting to factor in tax. This happened to me twice in three years, but no more.

I sure wouldn't ever take mine into a dealer. First off they don't know WHAT they are doing and to get them to even do anything costs an arm and a leg. I work on my own for as much as I can and attempt to get it fixed that way the majority of the time. It takes longer but I know how to fix it for the next time and I learn stuff.

Let's see... there hourly rate is $70 and they hit you for $70 as soon as the car enters the shop... They also have a 10% coupon on work over $200.00, but you have to give the coupon prior to them writing up the invoice... great freakin deal.... why bother giving them the coupon b/c they are only going to jack the price up the full 10% and then deduct it at the bottom. For these reasons, I will only take my truck if my arms are tied behind my back or both myself or my mechanic are totally fooled by what the h*lls going wrong with my truck (electrical????)

Those of you who are mechanically inclined are lucky. It is difficult to find a reputable mechanic in my area. I'm not sure if I can trust Montgomery Ward or Sears.

Very Satisfied

I am studying to become a professional mechanic here in Nashville Tennessee. I now do all repairs to my Explorer on my own. No matter an oil change or engine overhaul. There are exceptions though, recently while at home I had a failure an with no parts stores open, and my truck not able to make it back I had no choice but to leave it with my father and have him take it to the service facility. You did not give the year of your truck, so I can not vouch for warranty repairs. However, the Ford dealership loves my truck. Before coming to school all my repairs were made by two different Ford dealerships in Roanoke, Virginia. I was VERY SATISFIED with all repairs. The transmission overhaul took a bit of time, I believe 3 days down-time, however that was included with my used-car warranty for no charge to me (thankfully!), so I put up with the downtime.

Speaking as a professional mechanic, no matter what the dealership pays, that is between me and the dealer, if I am not happy I will seek employment elsewhere, hopefully taking my customers with me. Customer satisfaction comes first in my opinion, whomever I will work for.

Back