Arizona Run March 16-17 2002 | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Arizona Run March 16-17 2002

Jeremy, the 2 CB shops I know of are Bronco One and Apollo Communications. Bronco One is about 32nd St. south of Bell and Apollo is about Northern and 51st Ave or 43rd Ave.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What day is the Martinez run? I assume that is Sun? I got the book that you suggested; wow, I think I got another 8 or so people to buy it at work. Thanks for the info on distances to Chandler. I think I will have a buddy with me, and not my wife; so roughing it ghetto style (sleeping in the cab... in a nearby parking lot) is no big deal (we're both military). This may just make for a better story after the fact. Glad you got the duckets. My significant other is less than thrilled that I am trying to obtain 32's by then ;) We'll see, I am giving it a valiant effort. I am hoping. Rick, do you know a guy named Paul Gero? Just wondered.

Sorry, I don't know Paul.

I haven't exactly decided which trail to run which day. Maybe we'll do Martinez Saturday to get the long drive to the trail out of the way.

Sounds good, as far as sched'n what runs for what day. Paul Gero is a a freelance Photographer (I believe) in Phoenix.... he shot pictures of me and my family.

Anybody need a cameraman?

Well, I won't be bringing the X down for this run. No co-pilot for the 1900+ride to Phoenix and I don't feel like traveling alone.

I WOULD like to ride along with someone,tho. I plan on flying down Friday the 15th and will have a rental car so I could meet someone wherever.

I'll be bringing my 8mm video and digital camera's, so if someone needs a cameraman?????

Let me know soon,ok?

Jim

Hey that would be cool:D You could ride part time with us... Anyone else?

I haven't signed up yet, but I'm planning on being there. So, Jim, you're welcome to ride with me too.

Thanks to both of you for the ride along offers!

The only thing keeping me from making flight and car rental reservations right away is that my present employer just shifted (or SHAFTED is more like it) us to a 4 day 32hr work week. I don't think i'll stay with this company if they can't give me a full week.

If I change employers I doubt if I can make it. I'll try to let you know as soon as I find out whether I'll be coming for sure or not :(

I REALLY want to go, darn it!

Rick and Guys,

It looks like it will be a last minute decision for me to make the run. Kel and I will be moving to Phoenix March 2. So needless to say things will be pretty hectic.
I hope to make the run, but something may come up.
Just wanted to give you a heads up. At the least, I will join you guys in the morning to say hello, I live about 10 mins from Rick.
See ya'll soon,
Rod

Well, I got my 32" BFG's today, so now I will have a little more capability:) I need to break them in, and see what the limits with my truck are. Now to locate a spare?!!

Booked!

We just got our reservations confirmed: Thurs., March 14, thru Mon., March 18 at the RED ROOF INN, Bell Rd., & I-17, Phoenix. $70 per nite.:cool:

We had a bit of a time finding a room. Tried the Hawthorne Suites because we'vew stayed there before, but they and several other places were already booked solid. :(

If you need a room you might check the Red Roof.
Pho: 602-866-1049

We booked thru "hotelmotelNOW.com" so you might give them a try too. ;)

HELP NEEDED. I need people to lead stocker runs on Saturday and Sunday. At this point I'll leave the trails up to you since we haven't been able to get together to run anything. My truck is now in the shop and may not be ready for a pre-run before the trip.

I was supposed to meet Marty at the White Horse on Sunday, but he didn't show up and I haven't heard from him since.

Sorry for the inconvienance.

I dunno if I can lead those since I only have 2wd and have never run them, but I'm sure gonna read up in the book a lot and might be able to lead in some spots that I'm really sure of. Or, I can lead as long as someone could get around me to help me up a bit if I need it.

Stocker Run

Rick,

If you get in a bind, we can help out. I don't know the trails, so if someone with local knowledge steps up, let them take it. Also, I don't think I'm exactly calibrated to stocker any more. :eek:
I might unknowingly drag them in over their heads.

Rick; I wish I had local knowledge of the trails up there. This will be my first time wheelin' in AZ. Sorry I can't offer too much help.
I wondered if anyone could give me the names of any campgrounds that are reasonably close to where the runs are? If this is even feasible. I thought some were listed a while ago, but I can't find any now. My buddy is coming in from CA with a Grand Cherokee, and we want to see about camping. Thanks.

I'm sure I'm not the best candidate for leading a run but I'll help out however I can if needed. I don't know the trails up north at all and I have very limited experience with the ones out east.

Douglas, the nearest campground I know of is at Lake Pleasant. We will be passing there on the way to Crown King.

Rick,
I will lead the stocker run towards crown king, I will also lead the stocker run to the Martinez Cabins. I would like to do the Martinez Trail with the Big Dawgs, so if someone would like to take the stockers to the coke ovens that would be the time to do it.

I MIGHT BE GOING AFTER ALL!!!

The equipment that I was supposed to go to install in Malaysia shipped too late to make the boat. It won't be delivered until the 8th of March and I am not going to book my reservations until I have confirmation that everything made it and made it OK. Therefore I have told our Reps. that I will not be able to make it to Malaysia until after March 22. I haven't heard back from them yet, but it looks like I will be home the weekend of the AZ run.

If I make the run, I would probably stick to the stocker runs my Wife and 4 year old daughter will likely be with me. My daughter is fine with the rought stuff, but my Wife doesn't like it. I have been to the cabins at Martinez once and have my GPS track saved from there. I do have Scott Deutie's book with the GPS coordinates to the Coke Ovens. The book is a little out-dated so I don't know if the coordinates are still valid. I heard that you couldn't even get to the ovens anymore. Since I have never been there I don't know. I would prefer to have someone along that has at least been there before or if they have the GPS coordinates they could get to me that should suffice. I remember someone pointing out the road to the ovens when we were on our way to Martinez from Box Canyon, but I don't remember where it was. Since I haven't been there, I don't know how difficult of a time a stocker would have or where the by-passes would be if there are any.

I would definately like to to the Crown King run. Again, since I have never been there I don't know where the by-passes are.

What is the agenda for Saturday night after Crown King, everyone go their separate ways and regroup the next morning? Or is an after run gathering planned? I live much closer to the Martinez run since I live on the border of Apache Junction and Mesa, 8 miles south of Salt River Recreation, right off of Ellsworth (Usary Pass Road).

As soon as I can get a definate confirmation as to my schedule, I'll send in the $20.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sound great Robert I'm glad things are working out.

We will have a get together at our house on Saturday night with sub sandwiches and other goodies.

Back