ATF drain & fluid change | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ATF drain & fluid change

*I just received a notification that a thread I started with the post below was merged with this thread. Either way I appreciate any help.

My 2011 Limited 2wd just hit 70k miles and I would like to put fresh ATF in it.
According to the Manual, the ATF is good for 150k miles under normal operating conditions. You're not halfway there yet.;)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Refer to video in the above post. It's basically the same thing. None servicable filter.

There is a filter listed in the parts though. Is it never supposed to be replaced? Or is it something ridiculous like dropping the transmission to do?

Thanks 1995E. I guess the refill is just using the dipstick? I ask these questions because my 2003 explorer fill required a handpump and then you monitored the drip from overflow to know when it was full.

Dealers and other service centers do a 100% fluid exchange using a machine and pumping it through the cooling lines. A drain and fill doesn't come close to getting it all. You'd basically just be diluting the dirty fluid. If you want to do it right, just have it done by someone who can do the full exchange.

According to the Manual, the ATF is good for 150k miles under normal operating conditions. You're not halfway there yet.;)

Peter

I can't remember where I read it, but I've seen something that said they recommending changing it at 20k, to get rid of the break in shavings, and then at 100k. That may have been for a certain type of driving, or it may have been "special service", i.e. PIU.

I prefer to err on the side of caution, so mine was done right after I bought it, at 55k. Other than the dealer, most service centers here won't touch it if it's at or over 100k and it hasn't been done.

I'll do 2-3 drain and refills with the oil changes. The Ford dealer wants $168 for a drain and refill. That seems way too high since no pan is dropped or filter replaced.

For those who have done this, approx how many quarts did you drain.

I'll do 2-3 drain and refills with the oil changes. The Ford dealer wants $168 for a drain and refill. That seems way too high since no pan is dropped or filter replaced.

For those who have done this, approx how many quarts did you drain.

6 or 7. I actually turned on the car and revved it in neutral for 10 seconds and more fluid came out. Don't know if that was bad or not but.

Thanks again 1995E. I went ahead and picked up a case of Motorcraft Mercon LV. I'll do the first drain this weekend and another in a couple of weeks.

Back