• Register Today It's free!

Auto-dimming mirror

Vikerex

Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I have recently hooked up an auto-dimming mirror. I have the auto-dimming working great. Now I would like to hook up the autolamps. I tried splicing into the white/violet wire at the RAP, but nothing. Should there be voltage at the wire comming off the mirror? If I unplug the connectors at the RAP the lights still stay on, so I'm not sure where I should splice into. I have the CD, traced the wire to where it goes into the RAP.

BTW: it's a 2000 Explorer

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ted :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you want to take your output (pin 2) from the autolamps to the park lamp relay "pull up" side which is "looking" to get a ground from either the autolamp or your RAP (i assume to cause your lights to flash in alarm or arming states).

oh... at least in 96 "reference" cd.

Just curious, but what do you do about the photocell in the dash for the autolamps?

Well I went back to work on the mirror. I spliced into the white/violet wire in the driver's side kick panel, and now I have parking lights, but no head lights. When moving the wire I can hear a relay click, and the delay works, but again I have no headlights, just parking????

Ted

I just looked around the truck, not only do I have parking lights, but also the fog and dash lights are on - still no headlights???

Ted

check to see if you have a headlight relay in the relay module (center of instrument panel). From diagram, without auto, no headlamp relay is involved but with auto, headlamp relay is involved. The park lamp relay is there whether you have auto or not.

My truck did not have autolamps, this is something I am installing. Is there a space for the headlamp relay in the module? Or will I have to wire my own relay?

Thanks,
Ted

yes I realize this from the start... that's why I provided the information. As for space, I don't know... you will have to look and see. Whether it (or the connector) is wired to anything is also a question... you will have to check. I suspect everything is there but I ain't a long time ford owner so I don't know. The park lamp relay which has to be there is basically the same type of relay that the head lamp relay is. "pull up" for the relay is on pins 1 and 2. The "switched contacts" are 3 4 5 with the contact moving from 4 to 5 when operated..... 4 has nothing on it, when the relay operates it connects 3 to 5. Basically, those contacts go to each side of your headlight switch (ie. one on each side) causing a connection "around" your headlight switch when the relay pulls up. Hope that helps.

Back