• Register Today It's free!

Auto headlight sensor

Ken99EB

Reaction score
City, State
Ocala, FL.
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB
If the sensor for the automatic headlights is in the front of the rearview mirror why won't the lights come on when I cover the sensor with my hand? I am thinking of covering this with some window tint so it will be sensitive enough to turn on my lights when it is raining.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my 93 it has the auto light I think the sensor in the front of the mirror works with the one in the viewing part of the mirror they work togather i'm pretty sure.

If you cover it while the key is in the on position, there is a slight delay to avoid your lights from turning on and off everytime you drive under a bridge. Try it by covering the sensor, then turning the key on... make sure you cover it well.

I totally covered the whole mirror today with a black towel and no lights came on. Even tried covering the sun load sensor on the dash in front of the passenger seat. The system works well otherwise it just won't let me "force" it on and it is really bugging me now.

There IS a way to adjust the sensitivity.

It has been many a year since I have done this so forgive me if I am not 100% on the ball.

You will need a paper clip. Straighten it. Turn the key on but engine off. Slide the adjuster to the off position. Look on the bottom side of the mirror, you will see a teeny tiny hole. Insert the paper clip, lights will flash twice. Slide the adjuster, just to the left is more sensitive, more to the right is less sensitive.
Remove the paper clip. Turn key off. Post a message and let me know how bad my memory is :)

There is also a sensor against the windshield behind the mirror. If you look at your mirror from out side you will see it. It is covered by a black cover on the inside

I will get the clip and look for the tiny hole. But if the adjuster is already to the left when I start how will I be able to slide it more left to increase the sensitivity?

well it is a memory set.
As long as the paper clip is pushing the button inside the hole the slider takes on a diferent function.
Remove the paper clip and it is back to its old function.

Once the clip is out there is no way to visually see the setting.

Back