Auto to manual conversion

colindo94

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Cameron Park, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XLT
I have a 4X4 auto 94 ford explorer and I want to know what I need to swap the auto trnny with a manual 5 speed tranny. WHat tranny could I use? How difficult is the swap. Help me out. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just finished doing my swap like 3 days ago and love it. the best thing to do is get a parts car. i bought a 91 navajo for like 150 bucks, so just look around. the swap is actually easy. There is plates and holes for everything so i didnt even need to drill. the hardest part is the pedals. ask me any questions if you need to

Would it be easy on a later model, like a 2000 or 2003? I always thought i'd be great to have an Ex loaded with options but they stopped making the manual available with high feature content.

Thanks a lot. That gets me all excited im going to stat searching for part cars right now. I've never messed with trannys, so you think you can talk me through this one. Thank you for the help.

I found a 5 speed manual tranny from a 94 ford ranger. I dont know if it was a 4X4 but does it even matter. He says there is about 20,000 miles on it, Hes asking $150.

Think its good or no good.

What other trannys would be easy to put in.

but the thing with that is that you only have the tranny, you need the clutch line, slave, pedal assembly, flywheel, starter, and other things like that. parts car is the only way to really go unless you have a nearby junkyard

Back