Auto to manual hub, tools needed?!?!?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto to manual hub, tools needed?!?!?!

morbidrazor

Reaction score
City, State
turin NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 eddie bauer
Hi everybody, i havent been on this forum in awhile, mainly because my 91edb has been running great...........until now. My auto hubs are shot, and i dont want to do anymore damage to the rest of my 4wd drive system, so im going to "upgrade" to manual lockers. I found the kits, and everything, i just cant seem to find any info anywhere on EXACTLY what tools are needed, and where to find them, lol.

Thanks everybody

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To take off the auto hubs, you need the hex shaped socket. To install the manual hubs, you need the round socket.
You could probably get by with a large crescent wrench for the autos, since you won't be putting them back on, and just buy the manual socket.

Attachments

• OTC-6936.jpg
    OTC-6936.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 1,832
  • OTC-7158.jpg
    OTC-7158.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,814

I was thinking this was along the lines of what i was going to need. Is the tool for putting the manual hubs on easy to find?? autozone or something??

If not whats it called so i can search for it.

thanks a million rangerX

I got mine at autozone for i think $10 or so, they also have it as a loaner tool I believe.

...You can borrow the one for the auto's at autozone and if you walk back to the tool section, they carry the one for 93-94 X in stock at about $14...

Edit:
...The 91-92 models came with auto hubs and I believe the reason the tool is marked as 93-94, those two years had the manual hub option...;)

Theres a diff? between the 91-92, and 93-94?

...Sorry, I edited the post above...:thumbsup:

You don't need the socket for the auto hub nuts, they shouldn't be tight at all, possibly a pair of channel locks would be needed to loosen them but I doubt it.

Ive heard that from a few other people, i can figure out a way to get them off. But now on closer inspection, i think im going to need new bearings, lol. If i get to deep into this project, im going to find out i need a new truck, lol.

Ive heard that from a few other people, i can figure out a way to get them off.
There is a little key that inserts in a slot in the spindle and engages the nut with splines and keeps the nut from turning. It's usually buried in grease and is hard to see.

what is the auto hub socket size I guess I got one two big its a 6R 2 1/2 " damm

Back