• Register Today It's free!

Auto to Manual hubs

J. Anthony

Reaction score
City, State
Brenham, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Limited 4x4
So I have looked up the information about the hubs and swapping out auto locking hubs for manual. I have a part number and know where to go to get the hubs I want. Now, I am swapping to manual hubs because my system is not working. It will not engage. When I hit the auto 4 wheel button; nothing. NADA! I have checked for power at the back of the switch box; there is power so I am assuming I have another issue. So instead of swapping the box that mounts on the dash I would like to swap out to manual hubs. My question is this...once I have my manual hubs installed, how do I select 4 wheel or 4 low? Do I still need to troubleshoot the switches? Do I still need the switches to engage the system? I hope I don't sound like too much of an idiot. I would like to do away with the push button system.

Thanks for the advice.

Anthony

I am no v6 drive train expert but I will take a stab-

The switches need to work to engage the transfer case, regardless of whether or not you have manual hubs. You can check to see if it is just your hubs by switching it into 4 hi and rolling while you have someone look under the truck, if your driveshaft turns, either the hubs are locking, or the transfercase is turning the output shaft.

Search shift motor rebuild and see if that helps.

You can swap in a manual shift transfer case and manual hubs and do away with the whole auto push button system.

BTW- moved this to Transmissions and Transfercases

If the 4X4 lights on the dash do not come on when you push the button, it is most likely the shift motor, not the hubs. Read Brain's thread on shift motor overhaul. I did the job last weekend. The problem was the plastic bushing on the drive gear stop. Very easy to fix. The only cost is a T20 security Torx bit and a piece of fuel line.

If your hubs are bad, the 4X4 ligts will go on, but one or both of the hubs will not lock. When one of my auto hubs failed, it made awful noises when 4X4 was engaged. Also, the front end pulled and the steering wheel shook. That was the sign to convert to manual hubs.

Bob

Back