Auto to manual swap | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto to manual swap

there was one website where I could search for junkyard parts and I remember looking at it some time ago, but cannot for the life of me remember what it was called. Wasn't Rock Auto tho.

NEVERMIND!! LOL!! Found it! Car-part.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I Put in a 5 speed starter....

OK NOW I have a problem. The ex is not running right at all. Today I went to the store to get some stuff and in the process of driving, the idle started going to 3000. Pulled into the parking lot, shut it down, it wouldn't restart for a minute. Now its acting up, not wanting to idle right and everytime I take off the MAF and the airflow hose, it starts to run ok, but it surges to 3000 rpms whenever the MAF is on.
I am at a complete loss as to what is wrong. It was running fine all week with the auto computer, despite having the manual tranny. I took off the tranny cooler from the front of the radiator yesterday, plugged those lines.
Does anyone have ANY IDEA what is going on?

I wasn't having ANY problems before this....but no, I've never cleaned that. I'll see if I can find some info.

Mr. Cribb, not really finding much on the IAC valve. Some posts regarding auto trannies with some of the same symptoms, but since I have a 5 speed....

I'm going to clean the MAF tomorrow, try that first then see about replacing the IAC.

I don't know for sure... I just know somethings like give random problems.

I wonder if you have to have a standard column vs auto?

Unfortunately I'm kinda at a loss here.... I have never converted one.

Truthfully I would PM Trevor (Foxracin) and see if he knows some of your answers.

Never got any PM back from foxracin. Snoranger and I are trying to figure out why my ignition switch won't start my ex. Tracing wires doesn't seem to be working. we had to bypass the solenoid on the fender because its not working right. There doesn't seem to be connection with the wires from there, to the ignition switch.

Don't need a manual steering column as far as I know....

At WITS END!!! Can't seem to find out WHY my solenoid on the FENDER wont work!! Have to use a push button start. NOW the slave cylinder area where the clutch line meets the trans and the slave is leaking like crazy. I'm About ready to SELL THIS THING and be done with it! Have HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS since I swapped in the manual trans.
Anyone want a project ex?

At WITS END!!! Can't seem to find out WHY my solenoid on the FENDER wont work!! Have to use a push button start. NOW the slave cylinder area where the clutch line meets the trans and the slave is leaking like crazy. I'm About ready to SELL THIS THING and be done with it! Have HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS since I swapped in the manual trans.
Anyone want a project ex?

1) Have you replaced the fenderwell solenoid in the time you've owned the truck? I think it's a $10 part.

2) Is the slave cyl a new part or from the jy?

Hang in there it's almost done... pretty soon you'll be :burnout: :D

I'm thinking its the clutch pedal position switch that's bad. Not to mention that I don't have the trans harness hooked up to the engine harness as my friend cut the engine harness by accident and I'm no good at electrical diagrams, so I don't know which wires go to which...
I used a jumper wire to test the solenoid and when I jump the battery terminal on the solenoid to the small red/blue wire terminal, it clicks loudly. So, I'm fairly sure the solenoid isn't bad.

NEW slave cylinder, NEW clutch line.....

the friend who helped with the swap did a poor job of putting things together. He apparently just wanted to get it done, but in his hurry he missed alot of things, and cut things that shouldn't have been cut, and didn't want to bother helping me once he got home from work the following weekend.

If you think your cpp switch it the problem, then just jump the park/ neutral wires on the trans harness, on my 99 when I did the swap it was the pink wire and the tan with red stripe. If you can get a hold of a wiring diagram for your truck I would try that.

I don't know what is wrong. I am no good at looking at wiring diagrams...I get this brain-block when I try to look at one LOL. I'll look at the wiring harness for the trans and see what colors I have, then go from there.

Back