• Register Today It's free!

Auto To Manual Swap Neutral Jump

Chasethexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport
I am about to embark on the M5OD R1 swap into my 99 SOHC Sport and was wondering if anyone could tell me which wires are the Neutral/Park wires that I have to Jump, or if someone has a pcm wiring diagram for my truck.

Also the tranny that I got is from and OHV and I was curious if I can use the dust cover from that engine on my SOHC, which I was planning on doing.

Chase

Also something I just came across I have already bought an OHV flywheel since i got the M5 R1 tranny and its from an OHV, but I just read a thread that said the SOHC uses 8 bolts to the crank and the OHV uses 6, and I read another thread that said they used an OHV flywheel on a SOHC. Does anyone know any truth to this.

This is a partial shot of the SOHC's flywheel and yes it does have 8 bolt holes.
The shim at the center of the picture is what sits between the engine and the flexplate on a SOHC's automatic transmission.
flywheel_shim.jpg

As for the "dust cover", if you are talking about the stamped sheet metal that goes between the engine and the transmission, then this part is different between the automatic and the manual transmission. Among other things, the two transmissions use different starters so the starter holes are different. The following image illustrates the differences, the newer/cleaner of the two is the one for the manual transmission:

rearenginecover_5.jpg

rearenginecover_2.jpg

(flat vs ridged)
rearenginecover_3.jpg

rearenginecover_1.jpg

Thank you for the quick response, I just found a thread and it states that the 97 earlier OHV has 6 bolt crank and the 98 on OHV uses an 8 bolt crank and that is what some use on the SOHC so i will just exchange them tomorrow. As for the Metal dust covers that you show I got the manual dust cover off of the OHV but I was curious if I can use that on my SOHC because of the similarities of the blocks. Thanks again for responding so quickly it is much appreciated.

Chase

Back