• Register Today It's free!

auto to manual wiring

94Gexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
port angeles, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 ex
im doing a swap from a 91 ex with 5speed into my 94ex auto i got the pedals in and master cylinder but what do i do with the wiring to the clutch pedal or what does it do? also i already got the tranny harness swapped just need to get a slave cylinder then i can throw the tranny under it. can i run my 94 motor with a 91 ecu or can i just run my auto ecu? i know the 91 doesnt have egr and some other things

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The automatic Explorers have the wiring and plug for the clutch switch from the factory jsut has a jumper in it. All you have to do is pull the jumper out and get a switch part that goes around the clutch master cylinder then take that plug and hook it up to the switch and thats it.

all i did on my swap was plug in the tranny harness, remove the jumper from the clutch plug and connect it to the clutch switch. my computer is factory 5/91 auto ecu

I just finished putting a 5 speed from a 99 sport into my 93 on Sunday.

I don't think you can run a 94 motor with a 91 ECU without some modifications. The emissions systems are different. 2 o2 sensors comapred to 1, etc. There are differences.

The clutch pedal connection is dead simple as already stated.

I kept my auto ECU. You have to jumper a couple wires from the auto harness together to make the ECU think that it is in park or neutral so it will start. If it is a electric shift 4x4, you also have to ground the wire going to the shift controller or it won't shift into low gear.

Another problem I've had with the auto ECU is that is is throwing codes because it can't see the TCC or 3/4 shift solenoids.

I hope you bench bled the master cylinder before installing. It is such a pain to do while it's in the truck I ended up taking it back out just to bleed it properly.

I just finished putting a 5 speed from a 99 sport into my 93 on Sunday.

Another problem I've had with the auto ECU is that is is throwing codes because it can't see the TCC or 3/4 shift solenoids.

You can wire in your old solenoids and then just tape/wire tie them to the wire harness. Another option is to wire in a 33 ohm resistor (pair of them) so the ECM thinks the impedance of the solenoids is right. The impedance range is 26 to 40 ohms for the solenoids.

~Mark

i changed the trans harness so how would i wire in solenoids?

i changed the trans harness so how would i wire in solenoids?

Ahh.. then you may not have the wires anymore.. On some other conversions I've seen them just keep the auto harness and take the 2 solenoids out of the transmission that used to be connected to the harness and reconnect them outside of the trans.

My guess is you don't have the wires anymore so with the manual ecu and a manual wire harness you may have to live with the CEL unless they left the wires in the harness.

~Mark

all i did on my swap was plug in the tranny harness, remove the jumper from the clutch plug and connect it to the clutch switch. my computer is factory 5/91 auto ecu

If you have a Limited this jumper does not exist. The Limited has a different wiring harness then all the other models (XL,XLT,Eddie Bauer). If you have one of the other models then disregard everything I've said and listen to ROKKRAWLER.

i have a xlt and i got the clutch wiring together now it did have a jumper in it and im on the hunt for a 94 manual ecu if anyones got one(it would be nice if i could trade my auto ecu for it)
and i seem to have broken the clip that holds on the clutch rod to the pedal anyone know where i can get one or have another idea that would hold it on
nevermind i found out a hitch pin works good

Back