auto tranny ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

auto tranny ??

khaw

Reaction score
City, State
Casa Grande,Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
I've done the search but didn't get an answer. With all the post about bad trannies I have a question. Is there a trans that can be used instead of the factory one? Something like an AOD? Just wondering. Not having any problems yet on my 91 but would like to know before it happens.

Thanks
Keith

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that is great, i was just about to post the exact same question. Also, how hard would it be to put in an AOD and run a bump shifter on the X?

It would be a hella lot easier than a move to a T-5 manual tranny from an auto.

Currenly there is no way to mount a fullsize AODE to your current 4.0L. (A reason why many people do 5.0 conv) Even if you could mount an AOD behind a 4.0 It would be a bad choice due to the lack of an auto unlocking torque converter. The 4.0L develops power by using the torque multiplying effect of a open torque converter. THe AOD is fully locked in 3rd gear.

Currently the only option for you is a manual transmission.......which would require clutch linkage adaptation, or an older 83-85 RANGER C-3 transmission...... 3spd w/ no OD....

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info ASP84. That's what I was wondering. Should have known it would have been done already if possible.

Keith

There is an article in the "modified explorers" section about making an adapter to fit a 4R70W (AODE-W) behind a 4.0L V6. Might be of intrest to you. Read the whole article because there are a lot of different options.

Al

Back