Tranny help...

Stinger

Reaction score
City, State
Homestead, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger - Tremor
Hi guys...

I am working on an explorer v8 swap into a ranger... I am currently hunting for an engine... I found a guy who has one that he is willing to sell... from a 2000 explorer... with 10,x.. miles on it... looks to be in decent shape... he said the truck was AWD (is there a difference between AWD and 4WD? I didnt know ford gave you the option... or is it basicly the same?) On the tailshaft of the tranny is the transfer case (ofcouse I dont need that)... here's my question... if I pull off the transfer case will I need to find a new tailshaft (I'm guessing yes)... if so, what do I get, and where do I find it?

Also a friend of mine brought something up to me... he said that the AWD tranny is not the same as a normal AOD or AODE tranny... could someone clarify this for me? I'm not totally sure exactly what I am looking for but I'm assuming that I would want a 4 speed AODE... Rite? I have included some pics below... maybe you guys can tell me what I'm looking at!

Thanks,
Donnie

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

more pictures here:
Dead Link Removed
Tell me what you think of the motor... looks to be in decent shape!

The transmission in question is a 4R70W. It is basically the same as the AODE. The AWD transfer case has no "low range" and is a full time AWD unit. It has no switch to switch it into 4hi or low. I don't really know if the extension housing on the trans has the same bolt pattern as the normal 4x4 transfer case.

Back