• Register Today It's free!

Automatic Hubs for 93 Explorer

medefries

Reaction score
City, State
Bellingham, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Limited
Anyone out there near Bellingham WA that has a spare automatic hub for my 93 Explorer? I just discovered that my 4x4 doesn't work. One side side is good, but the other has broken springs inside the actual hub. It appears that replacing the part that protrudes though the wheel will fix it. The parts on the spindle look good. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone out there near Bellingham WA that has a spare automatic hub for my 93 Explorer? I just discovered that my 4x4 doesn't work. One side side is good, but the other has broken springs inside the actual hub. It appears that replacing the part that protrudes though the wheel will fix it. The parts on the spindle look good. Thanks.

just an FYI while your down there also. pour ATF in the hub and clean all the old lumpy grease out. let the them soak in ATF for bout 30 mins put rags under it and put it back on ther put the wheel back on. put enough ATF to cover the splines

I've been wondering about something. It's said that there are no rebuild kits or parts for these auto hubs but if it just a broken spring is it possible to find a replacement spring. For instance, Westlake/Ace Hardware has good selection of springs. Would they have one that would work?
My problem is that I don't have a pair of snap ring pliers long enough to get them apart. Ergo, it's a low priority thing for me.
I found a pair of hubs for $40 each so i went that route. I notice the replacements have more *push* to them. They hold themselves away from the spindle? rotor? where the old ones wouldn't.

My snap ring pliers wont fit in there either and I can't find a picture of the inner parts to see what they look like. The one on the drivers side has plenty of spring action. When I push the outer ring down with two screwdrivers all the guts lock to the casting just like they are supposed to. On the other, there is no spring action and I can't make it lock. I suspect the springs died and it ground the splines off the casting so there is nothing left to engage. If I can find one laying around for a reasonable price I'd be a happy guy.

Thanks for the responses guys. I found a solution. The local wrecking yards either don't have them or want 50.00 each. I called a driveline repair place a couple blocks from the house that said he might have one laying around. I stopped by after work and he found one and it was in perfect shape! Icing on the cake is he gave it to me for free! I installed it in about two minutes and I am back in business.

Wow, that was lucky. $50 each is the going price for a used (good) auto hub. New they are really expensive.

~Mark

go to a junk yard/u-pull-it and get what u need thats what i did when i blew my hub out in some deep a$$ mud, was very cheep.

I had a 93 and 94 and I blew out my auto hubs all the time, I eventually went with warn manual locking hubs and they worked great.

Back