Automatic stalling car. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Automatic stalling car.

Hotrodx199

Reaction score
When it's cold sometimes when you put it in drive it stalls the car. When you approach the stop sign when it's in 3rd it will stay in third and all these vibrations will occur sometimes and will try to push you foward. It shifts really rough, and it will go into direct as low as 25 mph where it's bogging down at 1000 rpms. I heard it's some sort of vacuum issue or valve or something, but it's really annoying.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when was the last time you had the transmission serviced- oil, filter, bands adjusted etc? ..Better get it checked.. Another possibility is the lockup in the torque conveter starting to fail.and not disengaging as it should.

when was the last time you had the transmission serviced- oil, filter, bands adjusted etc? ..Better get it checked.. Another possibility is the lockup in the torque conveter starting to fail.and not disengaging as it should.
Yesterday it was looked at and i believe serviced. If not a few months ago.

You may have a vacuum leak or bad transmission modulator valve.

What is the level of your ATF fluid?

Is there red ATF fluid present at the vacuum tree?

You may have a vacuum leak or bad transmission modulator valve.

What is the level of your ATF fluid?

Is there red ATF fluid present at the vacuum tree?

Modulator valve was changed, didn't do anything. I think the transmission had it's fluid changed so i'm assuming it's full but i will check it out later. Probably a vacuum leak, i just dont know where because in the mornings it does not want to shift into direct or overdrive so i gotta keep it in second until the trans temperature gets warm, but sometimes i have to floor it to 45 and then manually shift into direct or overdrive, then it will go in but there is times it wont so i have to put it back in 2nd and wait a little longer.

Back