Automatic transmission service question. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Automatic transmission service question.

TCI and BBK (I think its BBK) also make aluminum pans with magnetic drain plugs. I have a TCI which holds 2.5 quarts more than stock. The BBK (or other brand) makes a 3 quart higher capacity pan.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, still looking for one that fits 95. Found one by PML, holds 3 quarts over stock, notes there will be clearance issues with resonators/exhaust etc. Will check out the others.

I just realized you have a V6.. I don't know of nor have I ever looked for an aluminum pan for that trans, sorry

Do any of the transmission pan drain kits available everywhere work without leaking?
I have purchased one which had a plug that would screw in only one full turn, not enough to seal or stay in. Reviews I have read indicate that this is the problem with a lot of the others.
I'm talking about the kits requiring a 1/2 inch hole drilled in the pan and the drain bolted in. Does anyone know where to get one of these that has a plug that screws in properly?

I make them with an inverted metric castle nut tack welded inside the pan, and a standard drain plug with replaceable seal. Factory type drain, no leak.

These transmission pan drain kits come in two flavors. The most common, sold by every auto parts store works by squeezing a rubber O-ring with a little bolt. O-rings are not intended to be twisted like that, and sooner or later will tear and leak. The better flavor uses a brass bolt with tapered pipe thread. A bit of searching on Amazon will help you find those.

Do any of the transmission pan drain kits available everywhere work without leaking?
I have purchased one which had a plug that would screw in only one full turn, not enough to seal or stay in. Reviews I have read indicate that this is the problem with a lot of the others.
I'm talking about the kits requiring a 1/2 inch hole drilled in the pan and the drain bolted in. Does anyone know where to get one of these that has a plug that screws in properly?

Most auto parts stores or Summit Racing. B&M makes a good add-a-drain plug. it's around $6-$7.

Thanks. You give me hope of finding a good one.

Tom.

Back