Automatic wipers sensor/module location? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Automatic wipers sensor/module location?

jhu8

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Ford Explorer ST
So I will be taking my explorer in for its first oil change since buying it and I have had intermittent issues with the automatic wipers. They sometimes randomly go off when its not even raining and then just the overall inconsistent behavior when it is raining. My thought is that the sensor is in the windshield setup with the camera for lane departure. However, my dash cam is tapped into the power of the auto dimming mirror which is also up there. Would this be an issue with the dealer? I am afraid that they will just claim that I messed with wiring in that region, and that's why it's not working properly. I have heard of people getting the module replaced. So not sure if that's up there or what.

While I haven't had any issues when it is raining, the wipers do occasionally do a wipe when it is not raining. My 2011 Limited had the module replaced and it still did it as did 2014 MKT. My current 2017 Platinum also does it so I've stopped worrying about it. When it does the uncommanded wipe on a nice sunny day, I just say "thank you".
Inconsistent behavior can sometimes be caused by the amount of rain it is detecting if it is a light or intermittent rain. It should not be inconsistent in a steady rain. Also, keep in mind that the speed that you are traveling can also affect the operation. The sensor is located in the base of the rearview mirror but I am not aware of where the actual control module is located.

Peter

Do you think tapping my dash cam into the rear view mirror would make them think that's an issue?

Back