Aux plug connection in stock radio? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aux plug connection in stock radio?

Pito03

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer XLT
I have an 03 XLT. The factory head unit won't play CDs. I don't want to replace it at this time. How can i install an Aux plug connection to the factory radio????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd like to know as well, replying for notifications

Either wireless FM transmitter or if you have the tape deck built in can use that as well. It's what I use for now.

From the research I have done it is kinda complicated. You would have to solder it in on one of your radio frequency bands. Crutchfield has a bluetooth interface to plugs in to the antenna plug and a power source and it gives you an auxiliary plug. It is hard wired but has to play through a radio station on the fm frequency and is still subject to interruption. I have seen stock head units but it removes your 6th preset button in place of an auxiliary plug.

Here is the radio head unit to keep the stock look:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Explor...ash=item233d94b703:g:uK8AAOSwZ8ZW3jrI&vxp=mtr

Here is the crutchfield auxiliary plug:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142FMMOD02/Scosche-FM-MOD02.html?tp=121

If I can get a picture of mine, I bought a factory MACH radio off a guy on ebay who outfitted it with an aux plug, between the 5th and 6th preset buttons... seems to work pretty good, and Ive had it for a few years now...

If I can get a picture of mine, I bought a factory MACH radio off a guy on ebay who outfitted it with an aux plug, between the 5th and 6th preset buttons... seems to work pretty good, and Ive had it for a few years now...

does it run through one of the radio stations? how do you get to the aux input?

Do you have the media center?

I took a 10 foot aux cord extender and cut off the male end and soldered it to to the back of the RCA plugs where it goes into the board. It goes along the passenger side B pillar and then its in the center console. I have a 3 foot aux cord plugged into the male end. if there is an issue with the cord its easier to unplug and replace versus taking the whole thing down. Spent 10/15 bucks. Best 2 hours i used on taking it all off, driving to bestbuy, and then puting it all together. I cant press aux on the radio but had the idea when using the button on the steering wheel.

If your ex is like mine your in luck:salute:

Back