Installed Pioneer AVIC-U310BT in 2006 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installed Pioneer AVIC-U310BT in 2006 Explorer

rgoltsch

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfield, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT V8
The boss (Wife) had the stock 6 CD changer in her 2006 Explorer. She wanted a new radio that would allow her to listen to her iPod and have Bluetooth for her phone. I also wanted to add GPS, since if I was going to replace the darn thing, I may as well give her all the functions she might need.

I looked online for a new head unit but it seemed that all the units were in the above $500 range. I saw that Amazon had the Pioneer AVIC-U310BT on sale for $259.00. I did some research and found a mixed bag of reviews, for every good review, there was a not so good one. After a bit of thinking, I decided to bite. I'm glad I did.

I bought the head unit along with the PAC Can Bus module C2R-FRD1 and the Scosche FD1426B mounting kit. The harness was about $80 and the mounting kit another $15. If you look at a lot of the head units out there, they offer Bluetooth as an option, not include it with the radio. That would have added another $100 to many of the competitors out there.

I opened up all the parts I bought and read all the documentation on all the items BEFORE I went outside. I prewired the Pac module, connecting all the wires to the wiring harness from the radio. This made it easy when I went out to the truck. Plug and play, the only wiring I need to do was routing all the wires for the microphone, GPS antenna and the Aux output wire for her Sirius radio.

About that Sirius, Pioneer offers the built in module for Sirius or XM. Both cost $100 and you have to find a place for the big Sirius modules under the dash. They don’t offer some of the features the little Plug and Play units Sirius offers; pause, FF, and favorite song or artist reminders.

I got it all installed in about 90 minutes. I placed the GPS antenna under the top tray on the dashboard. The antenna sees right through the plastic tray, and stays hidden. The iPod cable is simply the USB cable that came with the iPod. You can buy the cable from Pioneer for about $40. I don’t see the need, as it works fine with the Apple cable. I put the iPod in the glove box, as you don’t need to access it, all the controls can be reached from the head unit.

The sound from the radio is great. The GPS navigation seems to be good, but I can tell you more as we use it in real world driving. Some people have said that they had issues with Bluetooth not connecting consistently. I started and turned off the truck about 20 times so far, and each time it finds and connects to my iPhone….no issues at all. The sound quality of the included microphone seems good, so far. Again, we will see how it goes in real world driving conditions.

Overall, it isn’t as neat as the $500-$1000 dollar head units out there, the screen is not as big, and it may not have all the features of its higher priced cousins. But to have GPS, CD, iPod and Bluetooth for about $350 total, it cannot be beat.

Ron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is cheap, when did you purchase it, looks like they are over $300 now

Correction, looks like it is down to $256, sold by a vendor thru amazon. Would you happen to have the dimensions? Anyone familiar if it will fit in a 2nd gen?

Thanks

Ron/Brian,
thanks for the info.

Ron,
when i check out 6ave seller info, do a search on Pioneer AVIC-U310BT, it comes up under "used". was 6ave the seller you ordered from thru amazon and was the unit "used". i am going to call them, they have no email info thru amazon but they do have a customer service number. also shows a one year warranty thru the seller not pioneer. a little apprehensive of ordering thru a discount seller i have never heard of.

i did find a pic of this receiver on pioneer's website installed in a 2001 Ranger which is the same setup as 2nd gen Explorers. For the price, this receiver seems like a great bang for the buck.

Ron,
called 6ave, they claim it is new. car toys sells the radio on amazon for the 261 price you linked to. do u remember if you ordered from 6ave or car toys? i usually only order from amazon directly, have purchased from other sellers thru amazon but have had problems. thanks

Ron, where and how did u route the microphone? Can you post any pics of your install?

what did you do with the grey and yellow wire attached to that separate harness for the factory stereo. It seems that they have to have something done to them in order to get your fog lights and backlights on your instrument cluster...

Back