Auxillary input on 03 Limited Radio | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auxillary input on 03 Limited Radio

03explorerL

Reaction score
City, State
St.Pete, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Limited
Has anyone done this? I am thinking of buy a FM Modulator for my grandmothers EX since she just got an iPhone, but I've heard I should look into adding an AUX port directly from the radio first. Can anyone give me any ideas? Replacing the radio is not an option.
And, if anyone has them, maybe instructions for removing the trim panel around the radio and HVAC controls and maybe the middle dash/cup holders.
I would really appreciate any advice!
Thanks in advance,
Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i don't think you can add aux to the stock radio, even though there is a button for AUX on it. anyway, use the search feature and you will find out for sure if it has in fact been modified to allow an AUX cord.

IPOD Adaptor

This might work for you

I finally purchased my USA SPEC iPod® Interface for Ford
Item# 581PA11F1 from Crutchfield. It took about 45 mintutes to install and it works flawlessly. No issues switching between Cd's, Radio and the IPOD. Only issues I ran into was rerouting the radio wires after you install the adaptor cables its a pretty tight fit. I placed the controller in my glove box and secured it with velcro tape. I ran the Ipod connector cable out of the plastic fill-in on the right side of bezel where the trip computer or 4 x 4 buttons would be if I had an Eddie Bauer or Limited.

iPod Compatibility

Full-Size... Classic/5Gen/4Gen
Nano... Nano7Nano6/Nano5/Nano4/Nano3/N
Touch... Touch5/Touch4/Touch3/Touch2/To
Mini... Mini2/Mini1
iPhone... Phone5/Phone4S/Phone4/Phone3GS

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581PA11F1/USA-SPEC-iPod-Interface-for-Ford.html?tp=120

03 Explorer XLT with Factory 6 disc Cd Player no subwoofer or steering wheel controls

I've had a Soundgate Aux input module in my 03 Limited for years, to work with my satellite radio. It's always worked great.

On my '03 ST, I have stock radio with CD/Tape player. I just bought a tape aux adapter for less than $10 - it works for me just fine. I can play my music from mobile phone or watch netflix (when stuck in traffic, LOL!) without a hitch. Or switch between CD and radio with no issues. You can play any type of media player with this, this is a 3.5mm audio connector, which is standard to all types of players from Android, Iphone, CD player, etc.
You do not have to buy brand name label for this item, some you will find it tagged for $19+ - don't get suckered. The quality of the sound depends on your media player and head unit, this is just merely a bridge.

You may have to deal with the long cable, but that is minor.

Removing the radio bezel is very easy. It just snaps off. Start at one corner and work your way around.

I will post a link for a thread for removing it and the radio when I get home tonight. :biggthump

Back