• Register Today It's free!

Aviator A/C is REALLY loud

n2audio

Reaction score
City, State
Lawrence, ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Lincoln Aviator
Aviator A/C is REALLY loud (added video)

added video, link in post #4

Hello,

I bought this truck in November so I'm entering the first warm weather season.
Everything seems to be functioning as it should, but I have NEVER heard a compressor even CLOSE to as loud as this is. It whines like a power steering pump that's dying, but about 5x that loud -- or the sound of a very high power super charger.
When the compressor is on you can't even hear the engine.

I was told by the previous (and only other) owner the compressor was replaced within the last year or two. It may not be an OEM quality part -- I have the maintenance records from Lincoln and they did not install one so it was done by an independent shop (IIRC the seller mentioned that when we discussed it). Almost all the other service was done at the dealership including the $4k transmission replacement last summer.

Does this crazy loud compressor mean there's a problem?
Would I be wise to be prepared for another compressor sometime soon or could it be this one just happens to be extremely loud?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be a defective compressor but check the belt first. If it is only noisy when operating you can usually rule out the clutch. A slipping clutch should not cause that kind of noise if it is slipping but would generate heat. A belt could cause this noise if it is dry or slipping. Maybe when the compressor was replaced they didn't add enough oil to replace what was lost. Without hearing it my guess is that you are looking at replacing the compressor.

Hello,

I bought this truck in November so I'm entering the first warm weather season.
Everything seems to be functioning as it should, but I have NEVER heard a compressor even CLOSE to as loud as this is. It whines like a power steering pump that's dying, but about 5x that loud -- or the sound of a very high power super charger.
When the compressor is on you can't even hear the engine.

I was told by the previous (and only other) owner the compressor was replaced within the last year or two. It may not be an OEM quality part -- I have the maintenance records from Lincoln and they did not install one so it was done by an independent shop (IIRC the seller mentioned that when we discussed it). Almost all the other service was done at the dealership including the $4k transmission replacement last summer.

Does this crazy loud compressor mean there's a problem?
Would I be wise to be prepared for another compressor sometime soon or could it be this one just happens to be extremely loud?

It's the same issue as mine until the compressor finally blew up and locked up. Before it goes to self destruct you might try check the pressure for low refrigerant and/or oil. You might be able to save the othe parts (but with that sound it might be on it's last leg) When it blew up it just clogged the whole system and I have to replace lots of parts.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

I made a video -- http://youtu.be/tzRQVUZsSFM
My first youtube upload so I hope it works.

I think the compressor is around a year old. If it happens to simply be low on oil, would it be too late to have it evac'd and properly refilled?

Took it to a shop I like.

The tech was pretty surprised by the noise. He grabbed his stethoscope and poked around a little bit then told me about all I can do is wait for it to fail and replace it.

Found it to be more than a pound low on refrig. No leaks during vacuum.
He talked me into some high dollar synthetic oil to help prolong the life of the a/c.
Total about $75. Hopefully I'll get through the summer. Who knows...

Quote for replacement was right about $800 which sounded pretty reasonable actually, but still plenty of motivation for me to do it myself.

Looking for how-to's now.

If it's the compressor, or any part you can identify, take your time to locate a high quality replacement, and then find a shop that will reliably work you in when you need it done. You can swap the parts, any, but the system must be vacuumed(cleaned out of moisture) immediately, or else the drier also must be changed.

Replace the green o-rings too whenever the system is opened up. Buy metal aftermarket quick connect locks if you can get them(way better than OEM).

Back