• Register Today It's free!

AWD 302 Conversion to 4WD

miketyree

Reaction score
City, State
weiser Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 302 AWD
I have read a lot of posts on converting to a manual shift with low range but im wondering if you can just keep the same transfer case and convert it into a push button 4WD with some new parts and a little magic?? or do you have to switch out the case too? and then any insight on the two speed sensors up front will that mess them up?

Basically im wondering if you have to change out the TC in order to make it 4WD even without low range?

thanks again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes

all 5.0L explorers are either 2wd or AWD

the AWD transfer case is full time AWD, no switches, no levers, no gear ranges, just AWD all the time

So you can bolt in teh BW 4406m transfer case from a 98+ F-150 and convert the truck to 4x4

If you want a push button 4x4 system then you want the 4406e or electric, but this is a much more complicated and involved conversion

both have been done and covered on this site

for the gen II 5.0L explorers (96-2001) there is no brown wire mod, like the V6 and Gen III trucks

yes

all 5.0L explorers are either 2wd or AWD

the AWD transfer case is full time AWD, no switches, no levers, no gear ranges, just AWD all the time

So you can bolt in the BW 4406m transfer case from a 98+ F-150 and convert the truck to 4x4

If you want a push button 4x4 system then you want the 4406e or electric, but this is a much more complicated and involved conversion

both have been done and covered on this site

for the gen II 5.0L explorers (96-2001) there is no brown wire mod, like the V6 and Gen III trucks

thanks man for the info.

i dont think i will be doing that.

come on the 5.0L with a 4406m conversion is oh so worth it! 2wd, 4hi and 4 low = *****in explorer

Is swapping TC something that is prefered because of the options with 4hi or 4lo or just 2wd or is this a mod that needs to be done to AWD x's with lift kits and bigger tires. Im just wondering because i plan on giving my x a lift and much more. thanks.

Is swapping TC something that is prefered because of the options with 4hi or 4lo or just 2wd or is this a mod that needs to be done to AWD x's with lift kits and bigger tires. Im just wondering because i plan on giving my x a lift and much more. thanks.

no its not required in order to put a lift on you ride i was just wondering for the benifits of half the wear and tear on my ride and better mpg. i just wanted to know if i had to switch out the tc or not.

hope i helped

ahh to dream about the swap!!!! :D

You also have the option of going with a 1350 transfer case using an Advance Adapters kit. http://advanceadapters.com/product/1805/50-8404.html (call to make sure you get the correct output shaft for your application)

I really wish I had gone this way instead of the 4406. I would have wired up the electrical components, GEM, etc and used a factory switch for 4WD, and had all the dash indicator lights work. (that is easy with the 4406 too) I could have used the factory drivelines too. Since I rebuilt my 4R70W, it was easy to swap the output shafts. But if you go this route, you will need to do that yourself (if you are comfortable around automatic transmissions) or have someone do it for you. That can be a deal breaker for some. But I may go that route some day and if I do, I will have a 4406 conversion kit for sale. As it stands now, I refuse to cut a hole in my floor board for the shifter, so I don't have a way to shift from 2WD to 4WD without crawling under the car. But I do have a very slick cable shifting set up I'm building... :)

By the way, if you plan on doing some heavy duty towing or driving, the 4406 is the way to go. The 1350 just won't take a bunch of abuse from a good V8.

I have the 1354 in my BII behind a 4r70w
I have the 4406 in my 96 explorer behind the 4r70w

The problem with the 1354 advance adapter setup is:
1. the adapter and output shaft are $550+
2. rebuilding the transmission = $700-1200 depending
3. I am STUCK with this transmission, if it goes out I cannot simply swap another 4r70w in place, instead I must rebuild this unit... this has already bit me in the ass once and the output shaft took some damage, so unless I bought another new output shaft from AA I got no warranty with my new rebuild

the 4406 woudlnt fit under my BII without extensive floor mods and the 1354 has a weak low range compared to the 4406
I plan to ditch my 1354 t case next time around, or I may keep it and go doubler, I would love to run a 4406 in the BII, I might just cut up the floor and do this, can you say OVERKILL? I have been trying to justify $3000 for an Atlas for too many years now, likely not going to happen.....the 4406 is STOUT and the low range ROCKS, its just a huge heavy SOB, but in a 4 door explorer it is right at home IMO

cutting the hole was oh so worth it, small hole in the floor was no big deal compared to the benefits

AWD = wears out front tires, eats fuel mileage, heavy steering, and loss of power
I did not like the AWD case at all, the 60/40 split sucked in the ice IMO, mine as well have been 2wd

The way you use your vehicles Jamie, I agree with a 4406. Just too easy and strong for that. But for my purposes, I wish I had gone with the adapter. Remember...I built the trans at the same time, so it would have been very easy to use their shaft. Even now, it would only be labor, some gaskets, and oil. As to cost, I would have paid about the same price since I had the other transfer case. By the time I bought the 4406, rebuilt it, new drivelines, etc, that wasn't cheap either.

By the way, when I finish up with my cable shifter, I'll post it up. Pretty slick. the cable will actually mount under the dash completely out of sight and out of the way. You just reach under and pull or push to what detent you need. Dash lights will confirm proper shifting. I already have the bracket and mount built for the transfer case.

I have the 1354 in my BII behind a 4r70w
I have the 4406 in my 96 explorer behind the 4r70w

The problem with the 1354 advance adapter setup is:
1. the adapter and output shaft are $550+
2. rebuilding the transmission = $700-1200 depending
3. I am STUCK with this transmission, if it goes out I cannot simply swap another 4r70w in place, instead I must rebuild this unit... this has already bit me in the ass once and the output shaft took some damage, so unless I bought another new output shaft from AA I got no warranty with my new rebuild

the 4406 woudlnt fit under my BII without extensive floor mods and the 1354 has a weak low range compared to the 4406
I plan to ditch my 1354 t case next time around, or I may keep it and go doubler, I would love to run a 4406 in the BII, I might just cut up the floor and do this, can you say OVERKILL? I have been trying to justify $3000 for an Atlas for too many years now, likely not going to happen.....the 4406 is STOUT and the low range ROCKS, its just a huge heavy SOB, but in a 4 door explorer it is right at home IMO

cutting the hole was oh so worth it, small hole in the floor was no big deal compared to the benefits

AWD = wears out front tires, eats fuel mileage, heavy steering, and loss of power
I did not like the AWD case at all, the 60/40 split sucked in the ice IMO, mine as well have been 2wd

ok so what is a fair number on how much a 4406 swap in my 96 AWD would cost with all the part changing? and how much mpg do you get in your explorer now that you swapped it over?

I got a helluva buy on my stuff. I'm in the whole thing about $500 without a shifter...and that included new bearings, seals, and chain for the 4406...and new u-joints and rebuild kit for the double cardan joint in the driveshafts. (I used a Navigator driveshaft that came with a double cardan joint. Most won't...and it's certainly not necessary unless you get into a lifted Explorer.)

Mileage? Not much. 1 to 2 miles to the gallon...maybe. But the drivability is so much better. And the money you will save on tires will pay for it. This, along with the electric fan, really made a huge difference in the way it drives. Right now, with this mod and the fan...I see 16 mpg in town and I just drove it to Flagstaff and back and averaged 21 mpg. (19 up and 23 back) That 1000 to 7500 foot climb is a *****!! Coming down is nice though. :)

Nice, kick me in the rear why don't you.

OP, read up on Aaron's swap and Evan's first, then decide if the labor is what you want to do.

... new bearings, seals, and chain for the 4406...

Did you pull the BW4406 apart, and how much work was that? Mine is supposed to be 49k from a Navigator. Regards,

thanks for info we just got a 97 awd 5.0 and now im going shoping

Back