• Register Today It's free!

AWD to 4WD from explorer?

jleehoyle567

Reaction score
City, State
LENOIR, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 MOUNTAINEER
I have a 2003 mounty 4.6 AWD. I want to switch it to a 4wd transfer case from an explorer. Im not worried about the electrical end of the t-case, i just need to know if its a direct bolt on or if there is more to change than just the t-cases. I havent found on here that anyone has done this but i could be wrong. Any advice would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Assuming same year ranges, the transfer case and drive shafts will bolt up. The electronics are the tricky part. I have wanted to do the same thing just not sure about it yet...

is there any reason you would want to do this? isnt the awd transfer case better than the 4x4 auto one? i always thought so...

my problem is that my vicious clutch is shot and as a result has caused my front diff to destroy itself. my problem started as the usual wheel hop mess when making sharp turns, but eventually resulted in my front diff getting so hot that my fluid burned up. so i took the front shaft out to try to save whatever was left. now its winter and 4wd would be a benefit. i just dont want to buy a used awd case and front diff and deal with the same issue next year. i can buy a rebuilt 4wd case and modify the shifter MUCH cheaper than an awd case. i just wasnt sure if i would need to get driveshafts to fit or if the ones i have will work

Back